What is the Worst AS Seen on TV product?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Rhoda D'ettore • Dec 10, 2014.

1. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    Over the years I have bought many ASOTV products. I was trying to decide some of the worst, and immediately the "Meow Cat" Toy comes to mind. This was so difficult to unscrew the battery back that I could not even try it out. I had to return it to the store after trying four different screwdrivers.

What was your "worst products"?

2. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    The worst ASOTV product for me is the Snuggly. I don't wear it because of the way that it's made. There are no sleeves but holes that your arms slip through which is drafty. There are no buttons nor zipper so you have to keep throwing it over your legs to stay 'cozy.' For the most part I just use it like a blanket... hmmm I think I just might do some alternating :rolleyes:

3. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    A few "As Seen on TV" products I think that were terrible are these:

Booty Pop: a product to make a woman's butt appear bigger, and it had shoulder straps to help!

Instant Arm Lift: lifts a person's arm to make ti look more firm and should be covered with a long-sleeve shirt - what, duct tape isn't good enough anymore?!

Better Marriage Blanket: helps to absorb flatulent odors from your partner(s), and derived from military blankets; I do not understand what was going on the investors minds, but this was a stupid investment or acted out on desperation.

4. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    I vote this as the most worthless product idea ever:

The Topping Tornado. That's right, folks. You buy a contraption to sprinkle your sprinkles

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    There really ought to be an as seen on tv museum of products somewhere. It's bound to be hilarious.
    I thought the garden weasel was a pretty good idea, though, when it came out. And then someone else who had thought so, too, gave me his. When I saw how much more time I spent trying to get the weeds out of the weasel rather than weaseling the weeds out of the garden I gave it to another sucker who thought it looked like a good idea. It is entirely possible that the thing is still being passed around.
    But what about the ch-ch-ch-chia? It returns every year just in time for Christmas. Not only does it return, but there's usually a new never-before-seen chia item as well. So one time a year these things sell and they make enough profit to be able to expand their line and do it all over again the next year. Amazing. As is the clapper. Oh, lord. In just a few short years the great grandchildren will be old enough to choose gifts. It wouldn't surprise me to receive one of these.
    But wait!
    I had forgotten the Perfect Pancake that I received over ten years ago from my grandson. He loved my pancakes and was so proud of finding something to help me make them; but like all gadgets, the Perfect Pancake was just an extra thing to wash.

6. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    My vote is for the Shake Weight ! Saturday Night Live actually did a hilarious spoof on the product about a year ago and I was rolling on the floor laughing. I will not get into the details because it was inappropriate , but that was the worst invention ever!

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :D OMG! The one that always stuck in my mind was that Didi 7 cleaning paste (this is going back years!). The advert claimed it was fantastic for getting rid of iodine stains. Iodine? Who on earth uses iodine in the average household? I did have a V-slicer though, that was great! Until I started losing all the little parts that came with it, that is.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Awww, I have a leopard Snuggie and I like it. I used to mercilessly make fun of the product until one chilly winter when Snuggies were on sale for $6. I reluctantly bought two because they were the cheapest blankets at the time. Our animal print Snuggies kept us warm as my daughter and I fell asleep in front of the TV watching Key & Peele.
    And they're sort of cute.

9. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I think that would be hilarious to have a museum of these products. Some of which are now history and lets fact it in some cases with good reason. It could be funny to be reminded of these products some of which we now refer to as pieces of junk. But the Chia Pet, this has been a joke since I was a kid about who would you actually give such a thing to a Christmas which is when its advertised. I do admit that herb garden is nice though, but that's about it. As for the Clapper, I don't now if it really works or not but some people have actually used it over the years and apparently its still selling because I still see it advertised to this day.

10. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm fairly certain the clapper works, though how well I don't know. I've never known anyone to have one. At least not that I know of. I'm not sure I'd know unless I actually saw someone clapping for their keys. Or clapping a light on or off.
    It could be a bit frustrating when the battery runs down, I would think. Plus, if it were someone like me there might be a slight problem with the clap itself. No matter how hard I try, my claps remain rather small. I can just imagine myself trying to "yell" with my hands.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The company behind the Snuggie, Bacon Bowls, and other products just settled and agreed to pay almost $8MM dollars as part of a class action lawsuit brought against them for misleading sales practices and hidden charges. If you ordered any of their products over the phone, you might be eligible for part of the settlement.

One of the most ridiculous ones that came to mind was the "Rapid Ramen" - I can't believe this was even on Shark Tank, and that the guy pitching got an offer from one of the investors to bring it it to market. It's literally just a square plastic container. That's it. It does absolutely nothing to make the ramen noodles cook faster or better in the microwave.

Another really bad one was the Wraptastic. It's supposed to be a plastic wrap dispenser with a built in cutter. But I can tell you from first hand experience it doesn't work at all. The roll barely fit into the device to begin with, and when you try to pull a sheet out, the whole roll pops out of the device because it's so flimsy and doesn't hold anything in place. It's actually harder to use this machine than the plain cardboard packaging your plastic wrap comes in.

The Bacon Bowls are another relatively dumb product. While they do technically work, you need three pieces of bacon for each bowl. So if you plan on having a couple bowls for breakfast, you're eating six slices of bacon. Also the packaging is misleading, they show bread bowls on there, but the instructions say to not put the bowls in a conventional oven. You can't bake bread in the microwave.

12. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    The worst as seen on TV advert i can recall here in Britain was for a product called ''Q tip.'' This was a plastic cover that fits over the end of a cucumber to keep it fresh for an extra day.

The idea was that you could use part of a cucumber then place the ''Q tip'' over the end of the rest of it to keep it fresh and avoid wastage. The whole thing was so ridiculous and the guy advertising it was so over the top with enthusiasm for the product that it had me rolling around the on the floor with laughter.

13. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I think of two: restaurant-food & televangelism.

Restaurant-food, because the restaurant-advertisements somehow 'skip' the fact that there's a whole time-period (between food-service and finishing eating) where the food is going to be half-eaten, bones-stripped, torn-apart. And sometimes the food gets to you looking a little different than the commercials or menu-pictures display it.

And televangelism---it means well, but I don't think it delivers. I mean, How many people convert to a religion because a televangelist delivered a good sermon?

Hmmm ... maybe that's the strategy behind the

---I mean; EVERYBODY wants prosperity, so they go into Prosperity Gospelers' "meetings" to learn how to prosper (that's what got me started with Kenneth Copeland Ministries!). Maybe they somehow misunderstand it as 'becoming a disciple makes me rich' and so feel gypped (sp?) when the money doesn't roll-in; but the 'truth' (behind the Gospelers' Prosperity) is that "Jesus' Father is the creator of ALL wealth, we become Jesus' brothers-&-sisters when we 'obey Him' (following commandments He gave, including both Quid pro Quo (do unto others as you'd have them do unto you) and 'Make disciples of all nations'), as brothers-&-sisters of Jesus we are also children-of-God & heirs of all the wealth he created (is that why the media says "

?" so that we can take our inheritance?)

14. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    The ped-egg thing. It wad suppose to shave the hard calloused skin from feet. It did not really do much. Even when I used hand force, which wasn't fun it did not work well. It was like a a hand held vegetable shredder. Not a good product.

15. aparsons

aparsonsNew Member

Threads:
    I have never purchased one on my own, but I was given the Snuggie as a present a few years back. It was given to me because I regularly wear a robe or housecoat when I am around the house, so my relative thought this would be a good gift for me. I really didn't enjoy it. It was draftier than a normal blanket, but I was unable to move around the house with it on. For me, it was just a robe that you wear backwards!

16. westmixxin

westmixxinMember

Threads:
    I don't know I've seen some pretty bad product so far I'm not necessarily sure what I would give the title to. But I definitely would have to say some of the different devices that cracked eggs are incredibly useless. The fact that these even got highlighted on as seen on TV really upset me.

17. Rowan

RowanNew Member

Threads:
    I didn't think that one roll out flowers thing was very good.
    I mean what's the point of making a garden if all you do is, water a black rug for a couple days, the whole point is to plant it yourself.
    That's also part of the fun.
    There are a lot of stupid things like the instant slushed cups, which don't work very well, and when they do, not much can actually be made.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm creeped out by the new Thighmaster Vibrato. Now the Thighmaster, which you flex and squeeze between your thighs, vibrates. Suzanne Somers says it's not all fun and games but Wendy Williams couldn't keep a straight face when Somers gave her one to demo on the show.
    I don't think people will use it for exercise.

19. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Is that better or worse than the Shake Weight (demonstrated by Kaley Cuoco (that girl who plays Penny on

... is she divorced from Mr. Sweeting already? or does she just not use his name on Bing's source?) on Ellen Degeneres' ellen)---the phallic contraption that thrusts continually when you shake it once and hold on to it.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's an entire episode of South Park devoted to joking about how inappropriate the Shake Weight looks.
    But you can't actually use the Shake Weight for anything inappropriate because it would hurt. It's shaped like a dumbbell.
    The Thighmaster Vibrato will probably not be used for exercise, and I can't really say more because the policy of this forum is to keep it clean and PG13.