What to do if you drop your phone in water

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by deannatroupe • Oct 3, 2012.

1. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    About a month ago, I dropped my phone in a toilet. The worst part was that I had to basically go elbow deep in my own urine to get it out. The rice trick worked. I highly recommend keeping it in the rice for a LONG time though, over 24 hours basically.

I was at somewhere when this happened so it took me a while to get to a supermarket, put it in rice, etc and I still managed to get it back to 100% working condition. The water roughed it up bad, had a bunch behind the screen and all but it's back to new :)

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of this tip until now. I have dropped my phone before in the shower, but it just got slightly wet because it was near the drain, and luckily it didn't get submerged. But my phone started to malfunction after that. Luckily I still have my 1 year warranty, since the phone is just 4 months old. So I got it fixed and had it's firmware updated for free. Anyway, I'll keep this useful tip in mind, it might come handy someday.

3. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    Putting your phone in rice SEEMS to work, but let's remember that correlation does not always equal causality. Just because something happens after a certain event, it does not automatically mean that the preceding event caused it. It's like saying "I called my mom before dropping my phone in the sink and my phone still works, so calling my mom makes my phone waterproof". If you do get your phone wet, turn it off, dismantle what you can, and try drying it out using a bunch of those silical gel packs that come with coats and bags that you buy.

4. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    My kids have dropped their Iphones, Ipods etc in the water or have just gotten them wet and they put them into the rice right away and let it stay there for at least an hour, or more and then turn them back on and they work fine. We learned about this from a friend of mine and so far it has worked fine for us.

5. lyeileen

lyeileenNew Member

Threads:
    First, don't turn the phone on or off, put it into a bag of rice to make it dry, don't use hair drier to dry it.

6. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I have dropped my phone in the water once, which the phone was flooded. The phone couldn't turn on for a week, which I thought it was totally dead. Then I used one of my fans to blow the phone for two days, which it started working a few days later. I think it was because all the water residual inside the phone, which I had to use the fan to drain it all out. At first, I was going to throw the phone away, but then I tried to dry the phone by using the fan.

7. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I think we all know people that dropped their phone in the toilet... :) Sometimes they work again, sometimes they don't. I've hear people dry them with hairdryers and possibly it's the best option. My Samsung B2100 is water resistant, so I don't have that issue. :p

8. Banister

BanisterMember

Threads:
    I think this works but I may also help you with another tip and absolutely the best. I have had more than six phones now and each of them at anytime has fallen in water. I have never worried though because I only switch off the phone if it were on, remove the battery, open it and keep it somewhere to dry for about three hours. After that i assemble it again switch it on and it perfectly works no problem no any signs of water..

9. sbatz72

sbatz72Member

Threads:
    I have never heard this before. I am happy I read your thread. Thank you for sharing. I have in the past dropped my phone into a rain puddle in the street. I was upset that I had to purchase another one. Purchasing another one really set me back.

10. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I have had the misfortune of getting drenched in rain or my phone
    dropping in water when charged. The first thing to do is to
    immediately remove the battery before the water peers into the
    crevices and short circuiting occurs. Then dry it in the sun or better
    still blow dry it with a small pump. Taking it to a repair shop should
    be done he there is short circuiting, otherwise you will incur
    unnecessary costs.

11. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have been told that in a situation where your phone dropped in water, the thing to do is to place the phone in a bag of rice. The Rice will be able to draw out the moisture from the phone.

12. jakub

jakubMember

Threads:
    Well considering that your phone is not water proof, you should place it under the sun in order to let it dry and make sure not use to it after a long time in order not to burn it.

13. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    The first thing I do is to get it out of the water obviously (I think everyone does it, doesn't it? :D), then... I open it and put it to dry quickly (praying that no defect has occurred :p).

14. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    Well if it's just a few minutes after the phone has been in the water, I would shut it down and take the battery out, put it in a zip lock bag and put some rice since I saw in a video that this method works. But if it's been hours under water before I get to take the battery out, I might get it fixed by a tech.

15. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I actually had dropped a phone in water for less than 10 seconds too, and the rice tip worked, although the keypad took a few days to work 100% properly again because it wasn't fully dried, so some keys were not working. Unfortunately, after a month the LCD screen got broken and it appeared dark and black and white only, with fine lines, and the color was totally screwed up. I guess the water eventually made the LCD connector broken since the water wasn't air dried, so the water corroded the LCD connector.

16. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    My cat knocked mine off the window sill and into the bath and it was a few minutes before I realised what had happened. It was a Nokia phone and I must admit these are so durable when they have been dropped or soaked. I took it to pieces, dried it off and then put it in the airing cupboard and it was as good as new after 24 hours.

These days of course you can get phones which are waterproof as long as all the covers are kept in tact. Unfortunately, over time they often come off so the phone is not protected.

17. Koksadi

KoksadiNew Member

Threads:
    Oh really!!!! Does this help? If it really does then it is a very convenient and easy way of fixing an unwanted expenditure.

What about the performance of your phone? Did it function as it did previously or did you gave some issues like hanging of the phone?

18. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I had the same problem as you and also got recommend to put my phone in rice overnight. I was So surprised that it worked like magic. I thought I would have lost that phone forever like I did with the last phone I dropped in a puddle, if I only knew back then I would've safed so much.

19. DavidLee

DavidLeeMember

Threads:
    Most people get extremely worried when this happens -it's normal. I found myself in such a scenario before but an expert helped me out with the issue. He advised me to hang it out in the air for a whole day, and then the following day I was to place the silica-gel (I took it from my new shoes I had purchased -it resembles round salt particles, which absorbs moisture content around the environment).
    The following day, my phone re-started normally. It's a 48hrs process and you're done!

20. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I have never even heard of t hat technique before, it sounds like a real good money saving idea in my opinion. Honestly though, you might want to consider buying a water proof phone case for a little more convenience and just to be safe, it is still cheaper than buying a new phone. But your technique still sounds good.