What would make you buy a product off tv?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Esperahol • Jun 20, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Considering the fact a product may not work or that it works poorly what is it about a product that would make you pick up the phone and actually make a purchase? Is it some facet of the commerical or how it's presented? What makes you want this product?

2. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I am very difficult to sell to, as I will only buy if I really need it. If they can give me exactly what I need at that time and the price is reasonable, I will buy it for sure. The biggest challenge will be to get me to watch the ad from beginning til end...I have a very short attention span.

3. mimi8zm

mimi8zmMember

Threads:
    I don't like buying something I cna't touch or feel especially if its the first time I've seen it. The only product I have ever bought from an infomercial was because my mom asked me to buy a girdle called Slim n Lift for her as a gift. I wouldn't have bought it if it was just me.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy a product I saw on an infomercial. I have heard many stories about products never being shipped or being shipped months later. If I knew someone personally who ordered the product and received it in a timely manner, I still won't order it.

5. MissMin11

MissMin11New Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't purchase a product from an infomercial. Usually those types of products have a few different upsells/ subscriptions attached to them. I used to take calls for some infomercial products and I never liked practically forcing those things on people. Sometimes they are worded in ways that aren't clear.

If it is a product that I really thought was awesome, I would try to find it in one of those "As Seen On TV" stores or search for a reputable seller online. Like, I love the Magic Bullet Blender from the infomercials I saw of it, but I purchased it online.

6. TheMightyMathias

TheMightyMathiasNew Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't order anything from an infomercial, mostly because you can't actually see the product that you are buying. I would like to look at the size and other things. Plus, they could say that the product does something on TV, but it really doesn't.

7. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I think its the return policy. I like when they are confident enough to send their product for free, and bill you later if you like it, or send it back if you don't. I hate when companies don't take ownership and stand behind their own product.

8. Imoverthere

ImoverthereMember

Threads:
    Infomercial items just don't reach to me, mostly because I don't trust what I only see on TV. It could easily be less productive than they make it out to be, and I get the short end of the stick on it. That and they're mostly things that are far more luxurious in features than what I would really want. A robotic vacuum cleaner? I have an old reliable one here already! A shake-weight? What's wrong with the exercise equipment I already have?

So really, they're not for me. I'll just go to Target or something for that kind of stuff.

9. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Probably knowing my friends or family have that product and they wont stop going on about it. That would make me purchase something just to find out what the big fuss was all about. What else would make me buy a product is if it was well known, worth the price, last a long time, and have serviceable parts. I don't listen to the guy selling the product as it's often too exagerated and they NEVER warn you of what can go wrong with it(why would they). I'd rather conduct my own research on REAL customer reviews and make a decision based on them.

#9Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  10. SarahP08

SarahP08New Member

Threads:
    I wait awhile after my initial excitement about something I see on TV. After about 6 weeks, I start going online and researching customer reviews. If it performs as the infomercial says it does, I buy it but only if I can really use it. There are a lot of things that I know I'd want but would probably never use. I don't buy health and beauty items because I'm allergic to too many things. That Flex Seal stuff though, I did buy that and it DOES do exactly what is says it does. Pretty amazing stuff! I used it to seal the window frames in this falling down rental home and painted over it. No more drafty windows!

11. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I always google before I make that call. I don't know why such wild products are advertised on TV when such great ones just don't get the recognition they deserve. The one that I do like and stand by is the Insanity fitness program. I have lost so much weight off of it. It is hard work, but worth it!

12. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    Before I decide to buy a product off tv, I would look up some credible reviews. I don't want to waste my money on stuff that would not be useful to me. I would see to it that the company has a return policy so that I won't regret buying a product later on. I always try to be cautious when buying things. Better safe than sorry.

13. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I google the product for reviews before I order. This way I do not buy something that is really not worth it. Typically I wait until something has been out long enough to hit the shelves of Dollar General, where As Seen On TV products prices reduce quickly.

14. youtubedomination

youtubedominationMember

Threads:
    Not too much, to be honest. Google has saved me multiple times from wasting $60 on something completely useless. Always Google for a review first!

15. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy them off the TV. I did once many years ago and it wasn't a bad experience, but I just refuse to order it from the TV. I ordered the Torso Track years ago and was happy with it.

Most of the time you can find the "As seen on TV" items in Walmart after a few weeks. I have purchased things from Walmart that were seen on TV, but you can bring it back to Walmart if you are not happy.

16. tetutato

tetutatoActive Member

Threads:
    I've never really bought anything from just watching a TV commercial, etc. Most of my temptation is caused via the web.

17. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    So good reviews either from Google or friends, a great deal of hype, quality, and a return policy are things that will get stuff off of informacials sold. However, most people would rather touch/see things for themselves.

18. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    I think I end up "wanting" a lot of the products on TV because of all of the claims they make about how wonderful the product works and how much easier it makes your life! Most of the time, I'm watching it while up with one of the kids and so tired that everything sounds good! That being said, I have never actually bought it off of the television before. We have a section at one of our local stores that is all "as seen on tv products". I have bought a few of them; but only do so after talking to other people who have tried it out and can tell me if it works or not!

19. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    There is no way I would ever just pick up the phone and buy something I've seen advertised on tv. If it seems intriguing and like something that I could benefit from, I always write down the name of it, where to purchase it, etc, and then I do some research on my own. I check out if it worked for others and usually if I still want it will just buy it at the store when it is available so that I don't have to pay extra for shipping.

20. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I never buy products off of TV. If I see something neat, I will Google it and find reviews. After a while, it should be in the stores so I will go look at it and make my decision there...no S&H costs for that ;)