When do you decorate for Christmas?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by jellybean • Sep 27, 2014.

1. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    Hi All. Just wondering when everyone decorates for Christmas. We typically start right after Thanksgiving with our tree and then the rest of the decorations over a couple of weeks. I love Christmas, but was surprised to see that lights and ornaments are all ready popping up in stores. When do you put up your decorations?

2. LSJ-8

LSJ-8New Member

Threads:
    We start our decorating the day after Thanksgiving. We have an Elf on the Shelf, so he "brings breakfast" for us the next morning and has decorated our kitchen full of Christmas cheer. He also brings letters from Santa to the kids. Our Elf (named Ribbon) also brings the first gifts of the season. Each child gets a handmade (by me, but we say it's from Mrs. Claus) Christmas ornament and this year's advent calendars (in the past we have always done the Star Wars Lego calendars, this year we will be doing something different).

Following breakfast, we haul out the Christmas tree and the first ornaments to go on the tree are the ones that Ribbon delivered that morning, following by the ones from the previous years, the bells from Santa sleigh (from the Polar Express) and then the remainder of them. Once the tree is up, everything else goes up. Minus the Stockings. Those don't get hung until Christmas Eve.

3. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    For most holidays we start about a month before that way it's not crazy early but we still have enough time to actually enjoy it ! We live in a community so I kind of get an idea from the neighbors. :) When it comes to Christmas though, we do start a little earlier. We just have so much to do and it normally takes much longer than the other holidays. I love Christmas so we try to make it fun with our whole family !

Wow... thought it was so far away but it's really right around the corner!! :) :) :)

Danyel :)

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We start about two weeks before the holiday to start to decorate. I really don't want to be looking at all of the decorations for a long time, two weeks before the date and one week after I like for all of the stuff to be up. It is fun putting up the decorations but it does get old fast.

5. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    We wait for the long weekend after thanksgiving too. It seems like a good down time to decorate. We want them up as long as possible to justify the time it takes to put everything up ;)

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We put up some decorations around the first few days of December, but honestly, we've started to decorate less and less with each year because it's just too much work to put up and take down. We don't entertain guests here during the holidays either and we usually go to our relatives' house on Christmas Day so we wouldn't even be using the decorations on the day itself. We just put up a few for some slight cheer but that's about it.

7. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I decorate around the 14th-15th and take decorations down a few days after new years day. I don't do much any more, usually just a tree and a few pieces of tinsel around the house. The tree is good though so the rest of the decorations are not really as important.

8. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    My wife is a catholic and she set up a Christmas tree a week before 25th of December. I'm not into it but I usually hang those socks on the doors lol. WE then put some gifts under the tree, its to be given Christmas day. :D

9. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    We decorate the house for the Christmas holidays at the first week of December. That's when the parties start, too. We used to have a large tree filled with Victorian decorations, but when we started having kids and pets, we had to decide which one to sacrifice the reachable decorations. It was too stressful to keep watching and avoiding accidents to happen. Now, we only have a tabletop tree, Christmas candles, hanging lanterns and Christmas lights. We kept the pets and kids happy by not allowing the tree to take over their romp area.