When do you start buying up toys for Christmas?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Sweetkymom • Jun 2, 2014.

1. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I'm seriously thinking about starting in August after my kids start back school. I hope to have saved $500 for my three kids by then. My husband and I will spend more then that but at least its a start. We also buy up for a ton of other kids as well.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's always advisable to start buying toys right from the beginning of the year until around mid-October when the prices start inching upwards. I always have to buy toys for young relatives who visit me around Christmas time so to avoid paying high prices for toys then, I get them when the prices are low and store them somewhere until the day I wrap them up.

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    For Christmas giveaways, I usually start buying in October but for when it comes to buying gifts to close and special people, I usually start in July. I want my gifts to be super unique so sometimes I just buy materials and make the gifts myself (I can make bags, hanging organizers and other arts & crafts stuff). :)

4. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    My kids birthdays are in September and October. So there is a good chance anything I buy before then will end up becoming a birthday present, regardless of what my intentions were. So I guess I start in late October.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Generally, I start buying toys and other Christmas stuff as early as June or May, it could still even be months earlier after Christmas. I hit the sale season and those that those times that are not yet hassle to buy, when there are not yet much people to compete with. I also buy anytime, if I really want the toy or the stuff, it might not be sale though. But of course, saving and time is my priority. And because I hate cramming, I use my free time to buy. I am most free before -ber months.

6. Dolson910

Dolson910Member

Threads:
    I tend to buy all year long. Don't get me wrong, I don't buy a ton of stuff for my kids for Christmas. I like to look for good prices all year long on things I know they would like for Christmas. If I find something in March, I have no issues with buying it then and storing it until Christmas. I guess I just feel that I wouldn't want to deal with the strain on the pocketbook to wait until December to buy their presents. Or worse yet, deal with credit card payments in the first part of next year. May sound crazy to some, but it really works for me.

7. Gadzooks

GadzooksMember

Threads:
    I try to buy things all year round, but it's not all for Christmas. I have a child with a July birthday and another with a December birthday. 1 week before Christmas. That is a stressful birthday to coordinate. I have to worry about 2 major events within a week of each other. I start buying and I make sure to buy more for my December baby, for her birthday. I have to be very organized and know what is for what, it's not easy. I always do sales, so that is what I look at when I am out. If I can find something they would like for a good discounted price, then I will buy it and hide it away. Unfortunately this year has been tight so I haven't gotten the chance to start yet, but I will soon now that 3 of our birthdays are out of the way and all I have to worry about is Christmas and my youngests birthday.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:When our family had gatherings for Christmas and the children of the family was little I'd start buying on sale as soon as I can and as soon as I had the money to buy Christmas presents. It's nice to be remembered and nice to give gifts that the children will enjoy all year through. I start early, get things on sale so I can have more gifts to give.

9. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I usually start buying toys when I see the flyers and there are good sales on. This could be in February, June or November. I have a list of items that I know my kids want for Christmas so as soon as I see them on sale I buy them. I find if you wait until December stores can run out of hot items and then you are left with searching the internet and paying crazy prices or getting other toys to substitute.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I start buying when the sales start. No way I'm paying full price for toys that will be forgotten about in a few weeks or maybe even days. If I find something unique within the year then I'll maybe buy it up before stocks run out even if it's not discounted, but that's rare for me since there are hardly that many unique toy items here. I usually start buying around November when the stores start slashing prices, and I think it's even better when I shop closer to Christmas because there are even more discounted items at that time.

11. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    This year I started purchasing Christmas gifts whenever I saw a great deal throughout the year. I keep my eyes peeled at garage sales, thrift stores, mom-2-mom sales, and clearance items in retailers. My child is too young to realize whether or not the toys, books, and puzzles he will be getting for Christmas are new.

So far, I have only spent around $20, and I have bought him a walk behind toy, Tonka scooter that lights up, four wooden puzzles, a Little People farmer with tractor, a Christmas boardbook, a stuffed snowman, and a mini piano. For the used items, I make sure to properly sanitize them before he uses them. Now I am just looking for small stocking stuffer ideas for little ones!

12. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I start buying for my nephews in November because this is the only time I have, and also Christmas and the holidays are getting near. My budget depends on my savings and I always make it to a point that I am able to provide what toys my nephews like and will use. I have close relationships with them, so I know their likes and dislikes which I use as a guide in buying toys or other Christmas presents for them. They are very nice kids and are thankful and show much gratitude, every time I give them their gifts. This Christmas, we are reuniting once again, friend and family and it is a very joyous occasion for everyone. I cannot wait to see the happy faces of my young nephews when they see what gifts I have for them and my hope that they will like it and will be useful to them.

13. bigsumm22

bigsumm22New Member

Threads:
    We normally start our hard core Christmas shopping for the whole family in August but truthfully I buy gifts all throughout the year. It's hard to pass up a good deal, if I find something early, I just stash it and hope I remember where I put it when I need it. ;) This also helps my family because not only do we buy for many family members, but we also have a child who celebrates her birthday 3 days before Christmas so that's yet another expense added to us at this time of year. But all in all, I don't see a problem starting as early as you can, especially while they are still young and relatively easy to buy for. I'm sure as our children get older we will just save money throughout the year until we can figure out what they really want for Christmas.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's best to buy toys during those holiday sales so that you can get great discounts, although others buy earlier, I am more particular if the item is discounted or not so that I will not miss out on great deals.

15. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here, it is ideal to shop for Christmas gifts particularly toys in November because the items are still cheap. When December comes, the shoppers tend to flock the stores causing the prices to jack up. For toys, I go to the place called Divisoria where toys are cheap. Mostly imported from China, there are toys and non-toys like cellphones and tablets which are imitation but fully operational that can also serve as gifts for children.

16. tiffaninichole

tiffaninicholeMember

Threads:
    Wow, I feel bad. I don't start until November. LOL! Christmas shopping never even crosses my mind in the summertime or anytime really, until Thanksgiving is close. Then I'm like "Oh crap, I have to buy stuff ASAP!" LOL. Maybe next year I can set a bunch of reminders to start shopping. It sure would ease the stress of trying to hurry up and cram shop. I'm sure I'd save a pretty penny too because the cost of toys skyrockets in December.

17. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    When my son was young I would buy toys all year round. But now with the great nieces and nephews I usually wait to be told what they want or need. It's hard to buy for little ones that you don't see often. I might think they will be using riding toys by Christmas but they are really just sitting up. I don't remember how long each step takes anymore, so I'm always asking the Moms right around Christmas.

18. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    For Christmas, I started looking for gifts for my nieces and nephews on the first. I don't make it easy on myself, but I love seeing them happy and playing with the toys I bought them. Giving them specific things is a lot more fun than gift cards, in my opinion.