When Should You Get Yourself Another Car?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Denis Hard • Nov 3, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people buy a car and after a year or two start thinking about getting a different model, etc. The reasons could many. Maybe they got adopted a number of kids and need a larger car. Or they want to show off because they got a salary, etc. Now for a frugal person who is interested in saving as much cash as they can, when should such s/he get a new car?

One blogger suggests that you should use you car until it's too old too drive. You wouldn't even sell it as a used vehicle.

What you do you guys think? Would that be a great way to save cash?

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I say get a new car when you can truly afford to get one and no longer want to drive your current one. Paying the note does not mean you can afford it, that may be killing you and you need to keep what you have. But, if you have everything in order, then I have no issue with anyone wanting to take care of the extras in their life as it is their life and they should be able to enjoy it as they see fit.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say that one should get themselves a new car if one truly cannot do without one. And when one can afford one at the same time. Those circumstances don't always tally up with one another though, and people end up desperately needing a set of wheels and not being able to afford them, so they take out loans and whatnot. all of this just to avoid the horror that is public transport lol.

4. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    I am currently debating on what I should do about my car. My car is a two door and I have a son who is now 1. He was completely unexpected so I hadn't even saved up for a 4 door car. Let me tell you that it is a pain in the butt getting him in and out of my car. I thinking during tax time, we might look for a used 4 door. I don't think that it is worth it to always get a new car every other year. I think people who do that just want to show off. My family does that but won't help us out.

5. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    When your auto constantly breaks down then its time to get a new car. I have AAA. You are allowed five tows each year. Once long ago, I ran out of tows because my car broke down more than five times in a calendar year. That was in the summer months back in 2004. It was time for another one. Then suddenly, I was in an accident. A lady hit me in the front passenger side. My car was totaled. The insurance company gave me thousands to get another one.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When the cost of repairs on the car are as much or more than the monthly payment on a new car is the break even point and when the vehicle should be replaced. If you are spending money every month for repairs you should look to how much a new car would cost, you are paying the money anyway so you should be spending your money on something that is not breaking down every time you turn around. Think of it this way, if you spend $200 to fix the water pump this month and $150 next month to fix the steering column and then the next month the engine is gone you have put money in a vehicle that is now not working but you have spent your money and do not have a vehicle. If you purchase a new vehicle you have a warranty that will keep the vehicle in good repair for some time.

7. Cash In Hand

Cash In HandMember

Threads:
    It would be a great way to save cash, but then you would have to use it to put a down payment on a new car since you don't have another car to use as a trade-in. We try to time the buying of a new car to where our depreciation value on the old one is still low enough to where we can trade it as a down payment. We also wait until this time of the year when dealers are really needing to clear out their old inventory. This is the best time of year to buy a 2015 model.

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I don't really know what to say in this situation. As of now, my truck runs great, minus some occasional break and transmission work. I guess, as with my computer, I will just keep running it until it's dead. However, getting a 2nd car could be a wise decision if I get married. This fact is true because trucks are not good for transporting a family. Therefore, the increased cost of getting another car is justified due to the help provided.