When would you recommend investing in travel insurance?

Discussion in Travel Insurance started by bonniea • Sep 30, 2013.

1. bonniea

bonnieaMember

Threads:
    Travel insurance can cost around 10% of the cost of a trip. When would it be a good idea to get travel insurance. I have heard from some people that when they try to make a claim they have a hard time getting paid. If you can't get paid, is it ever worth the money?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It surprises me that insurance companies are permitted to keep that racket going . . .

If insurance companies intend to give you a hard time when you make a claim, why the hell should they pretend they will? Of course I'm only referring to genuine compensation claims when something does happen.

Is traveling insurance worth it? IMO, it's of absolutely no value.

3. pklatonja

pklatonjaNew Member

Threads:
    I don't know if you mean insureing that if something to your health happens in a foreign country. I had experience with that and it worked wonders for me, cause I didn't have to pay for the hospital bills my insurance covered it. Also my friend lost her hand in a car accident in Kenya and it covered almost all of her surgeries and recovery. So I think it's worth it.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Getting a

is worth it, at least for me. However, it's more preemptive. So you may or may not be able to take advantage of the benefits, depending on the circumstances. But we never know. Anything can happen. It's even harder when we're visiting a foreign country where communication barriers can sometimes prevent access to good healthcare. Also, some local hospitals can be unkind to foreigners. They charge different, much higher rates for admission or even just check-up. With a travel medical insurance, you'd be protected throughout the duration of your travel.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only ever took out travel insurance once, when I went on a vacation where I knew I'd be trying out snowboarding. I was concerned about injuring myself and didn't want to be stuck with a huge medical bill. On the whole though, I think these policies are a bit of a rip-off.

6. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Thats why it makes sense to do your research when shopping for an insurance provider. I have heard of numerous cases of litigation where insurance firms contest claims even when the facts of validity are glaring. That said and done, I can only consider travel insurance if I am a frequent traveller.

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I assume that by travel insurance you have health insurance also in your mind and if you are traveling for a long tour it is worth taking a good insurance plan but if you intend to visit for a short time plan it is better to see which plan covers your baggage, passport loss and accident claim.

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well I am guessing that since I have never even thought about it, it is probably best suited for someone who does a lot more travelling than I do. That is not much, but still I would think that is would be quite a jump from where I am at.

9. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    When you're ready to travel a lot or frequently. No sense having it if you're not going to be making use of it(hopefully you don't). I don't have it myself because I barely travel.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Since I travel a lot for longer duration I always take health insurance that covers me comprehensively. Luckily we have a number of insurance companies having different plans which give you a wide option so it is not a problem to chose one according to your needs. Incidentally I have to go to a foreign destination at the end of this year for one year and I have already started searching for a suitable plan. The only problem is that maximum one time duration od any insurance is 6 months so I will have to renew it after 6 months,