Where Do You Get Your Seeds?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by PeteS • Sep 8, 2017.

1. PeteS

PeteSNew Member

Threads:
    As a gardener, one of the best things about the internet is that it is now so easy to get heirloom and other rare seeds sent right to my home (along with worms, but that is a different topic). What are some of your favorite websites to get seeds? For me, maybe just for nostalgia, but I get most of my seeds from Burpee. But now I don´t have to hope my local store has what I want, instead I have a huge online catelog to choose from. And of course if you are getting guaranteed heirlooms, it is fairly easy to save seeds from most things I grow. So where are you getting your seeds?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a long time gardener and a backyard farmer too. When I was new to gardening, I would buy seeds. But when I experienced buying duds (the seeds did not germinate), that got me thinking. And now, I always save some seeds for planting during harvest time. Even with trees, I save the seeds of the cashew, sugar apple, mango and all other fruit trees that I have. Same goes with vegetables particularly squash, tomato, red pepper, etc. That saves me money and also am assured of the quality of the seeds.

3. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really get too many seeds online because there are so many brick and mortar stores that have packets of seeds for very low prices. I'm not an avid gardener, although I love the idea of it in theory. There is a seed company that I got a catalog from in the mail not too long ago; beautiful catalog with a vast amount of seeds, including those of the heirloom variety. I don't remember the name of the company off-hand.

4. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I remember ordering a free copy of a "Johnny's Selected Seeds" catolog in the past and looking through the interesting things I would like to grow-and its quite fun to look through this catalog in the winter and dream about having a great garden in the spring and summer. I think they include some coupons with this catalog as well so you can get a discount on a bulk order. They include many flower seeds in this catolog as well and other gardening supplies that are worth checking out if you like to garden.

5. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I get them either at the nearest store or if it's available at my local farmer, i prefer to buy them from the latter as they are of higher quality.

6. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I get most of my seeds from the local gardeners and nurseries and some from friends. We usually exchange with each others seeds that we may have. I also happened to procure seeds of a particular plant from a blogger in Malaysia. He had put up an offer on his blog post to send seeds to who may want them and he was particularly kind enough to send the seeds to me in India. I offered to pay him postal charges but he was so gracious that he wouldn't accept money so I sent him a few seeds of some flowers to him back. You can check the various garden blogs, many of the bloggers are always willing to give away seeds that they have in excess.

7. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if I may call a Gardner, I do plant flowers but my land is too small. I take the seeds from the supermarket, I plant them in a plastic glass and in the spring I plant them in the yard. I am doing this every winter, I am just sorry that not all my plants survive!