Where do you guys buy kids clothes?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by deannatroupe • Jul 3, 2012.

1. deannatroupe

deannatroupeMember

Threads:
    I've got 4 kids and they are all different sizes. I know about shopping at Goodwill and on eBay. Where do you guys go to get cheap kids clothing? They are outgrowing their clothes quicker than I can get money to buy them. There must be something in the air.

2. Spongecake

SpongecakeNew Member

Threads:
    Do you have any friends or relatives who have children that are older than your own? That's a great source for hand-me-downs. You might also want to check out freecycle.org, which is a site for people to get rid of unneeded things for free. Maybe go for larger clothes and then your children can pass them down to one another?

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Have you tried swapping clothes online? There are some mommy swap groups and where you list your old baby clothes and then swap them with other moms. I would buy them at Kmart. You can get shirts for around $3 there or at JCP.

4. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I usually would recommend going to thrift stores, but I have been a bit on edge since the spread of bed bugs. Not to gross you out (and believe me I know about buying clothes on a budget), but we have seen people fairly close to here with them and I have been paranoid since!!

Kohls is a great place to look on the clearance rack. You can sometimes find a couple really good deals there :) It is where I do most of my back to school shopping, but only when they are on sale or clearance!

5. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I normally go to either garage sales or thirft stores since my son grows out of the clothes so fast anyway. Otherwise Jcpenny does have some great deals.. or even Wal Mart. I am not too picky when it comes to clothes, but always wash them before I use them.

6. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    I like Walmart, Gymboree and The Children's Place. I usually scout for sales and buy my daughter's clothes in bulk.

7. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I buy them at a ton of stores. What I do is wait for the really good sales and stock up. My son is only 18 months so I've gone to community garage sales that are in a nice area. I will find brand name clothes like Gap for 25 to 50 cents each. Once they get older this doesn't seem like a good option any longer. I've found shirts for $2.50 and KMart and they are surprisingly cute! I like polos and button up shirts for my son and they look nice in my opinion. JCP also has shirts and pants about $4 each when they have good sales as well as Dillards (not sure all the areas Dillards is in). Dillards is like a Macys, but I like it better. If you live near one, many times at the end of the month they will have an additional 30 to 40% off of clearance prices. I've found some great deals, especially when they're already marked 65% off.

8. dvharris

dvharrisMember

Threads:
    It depends on their age. Wal-Mart has inexpensice garanimals section filled with baby clothes. You can mix and match the different shorts and shirts. The discount section at Target has really nice affordable clothes. I really love Target for everything. If you are looking for used baby clothes, you might want to look for a Children's Orchard in your area. They have cheap used good clothes you can buy and then trade off for other clothes. I love this store. I believe they go up to age 12. Fallas Paredes is also a great store to shop at. They are not everywhere so consider yourself lucky if you have them where you live. Their clothes have minor defects but you can't complain about the price!

9. jessamom

jessamomNew Member

Threads:
    I buy a lot of my children's clothing at a store here called Once Upon a Child. It's a resale store that has great end of season sales. I can typically buy for next Spring at their end of Summer clearance sale, and get shirts/shorts for a dollar a piece. I just have to plan ahead a bit! For my younger kids, they get hand me downs. I have been fortunate enough to have a few family members pass on their clothes to my kids, too. Another idea is to find a local bartering system and see if anyone has clothes to trade you. My city has a group on Facebook dedicated to the barter system. You just post what you have or what you are looking for and people work out a trade with you. I love it! Not having to spend money on something I need and getting rid of something from my home that I don't need is a win all around!!

10. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I strongly feel that the best place to buy kids clothes is at the gap or old navy. These stores are very fun and colorful. This can suit any child of ages 1-10 . The prices in these stores are also very affordable and customers will always leave satisfied.

11. Rob

RobMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't recommend buying kids clothing from chinese sellers on eBay. They are poorly done and they may also cause allergic reactions because of the low-grade materials and potentially hazardous chemicals. I know a kid who got a nasty (temporary) rash from a chinese-bought shirt. The shirt was immediately thrown away, I don't know if washing could have removed the irritants, maybe not..

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yard sales are where we get a lot of ours. People sell them for super cheap and we get mostly unused clothes for year round. I especially love bag sales where you can stuff a bag full of clothes and it only costs a dollar or two because they're trying so hard to just get rid of all their extra stuff.

13. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    Can't you kill the bed bugs if you wash the clothes in hot water? Yuck. I never thought of this to be a concern, but now that you mention it...Yuck again!

Anyways, we usually buy our clothes from garage sales. There are also a few mommy swaps on facebook where you can swap clothes with others who have outgrown them. There are probably a few in your area if you look.

Also, we find The Children's Place to be pretty affordable. We usually shop the clearance racks and find a few good deals at great prices! I know Walmart may be a good place to look as well. The only thing you have to worry about with Walmart, is that they are made of poor quality. Although they may be cheap, they may not last as long as you would like them to.

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, you sure can. We always wash our used clothing in hot water before wearing them. Not just for bed bugs either, but for anything else that might be lurking in the clothes. We don't know where they were before, so it makes us feel better to kill off as much as possible first.

15. zoeysmama2011

zoeysmama2011Active Member

Threads:
    I buy most of my daughter's clothes brand new from stores like Toys 'R" Us. I pretty much reserve hand me downs and thrift store clothes for myself. I just feel better when my daughter has new clothes on. Not to mention the fact that she has super sensitive skin anyway. I'm extremely wary of her breaking out in a rash, even after having washed the brand new clothes. However, I usually shop the clearance rack at Kmart, Walmart, Babies 'R' Us, and Sears.

16. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    When my kids were growing up, I got their clothes from the secondhand shops. Only once in a while, I get them brand-new clothes. The logic is that children outgrow their clothes before the clothes get worn out anyway. Besides, new clothes also become secondhand clothes after one wash.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my daughter was a little kid, she outgrew clothes really fast, so I would hit yard sales in my neighborhood or go to Walmart. A lot of stuff goes on sale for 75% off just because it's seasonal, so I would get my daughter Halloween shirts for like $1.25 and my daughter was happy running around the house in her black cat or skull shirt.
    I also bought plain t-shirts in a 3 pack and painted my own designs on them.
    Little kids play and get dirty, so not all of their clothes have to be fancy. You get them a couple of nice outfits for church or grandma's house, but their everyday clothes should be fun, cheap and cheerful.

18. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I usually get them at kmart or walmart and sometimes at Ross. They have pretty good prices on kids clothes I think and they have a nice selection to choose from, also family dollar and dollar general sometimes have nice clothes to pick from and reasonable prices.

19. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got to Kmart citi trends and ross they usually have really cute clothes for kids and don't cost much

20. mifinfo

mifinfoActive Member

Threads:
    I know kids grow fast and mothers must buy clothes for them all.
    Did you consider to shop abroad?