Where's Your Favourite Place To Get Free Ebooks?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by ShoreThing • Mar 11, 2015.

1. ShoreThing

ShoreThingNew Member

Threads:
    One of my favourite things about having a Kindle is the number of free eBooks you can download! I usually go to Project Gutenberg, which has loads (and I mean LOADS) of classic books and stories, which is great because I've been trying to read more classic literature recently (currently reading Pride & Prejudice :)) Does anyone else have any good sources for free eBooks?

2. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    Baen Free Library

Mostly sci fi/fantasy. They have mobi format for free and paid books and if you buy books there, they give you non-DRM books in multiple formats in case you change devices.

3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I am not really fond of downloading EBooks since I don't have much patience reading them through my laptop computer or even through my tablet phone. But I've got a few EBook files here in my laptop and I got them all from Goodreads. The site actually has some pretty good collections of free EBooks, mostly classic pieces. You might try and check it out.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like

, as they have a good selection all the time. There are so many places now, but you have to check as some downloads are only available in certain countries due to copyright reasons. I use bookbub and bookgorillia the most as they do have 24 hour specials.

5. ShoreThing

ShoreThingNew Member

Threads:
    I agree, reading on a computer screen for long periods of time isn't really ideal. I've never tried reading on my phone (although I think I do have a reading app somewhere), wouldn't the screen be a little bit too small?

But thanks to everyone for all the suggestions! I've been downloading loads of books, probably never going to have the time to read all of them but I'm definitely going to try :)

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:

publishes a list of books that are temporarily free or cheap every week or so, and even makes a best of list of the books worth reading.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    ManyBooks.net - this website has been a joy as far as securing electronic books is concerned. You will find a large collection of classical, historical romance and general fiction novels. They also have short story and poem anthologies, and treatises from all kinds of philosophers and academics from the olden times to the present.

8. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I just discovered

. It's where we get to download new music and new books from writers and musicians who would love to meet us. What I like about the platform is that even though the literature and the albums are free, we get to leave a tip and promote their works via social media networks like Facebook and Twitter. Downloads are free and we get to sample the music first.

9. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    Thanks for the great article!

10. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon also has free book downloads. I have a website that updates me when a new site comes out. But if you just go onto the Amazon website and type in free e-books then a bunch will pop up. I really like the free photo recipe books. You can even 'lend' the book to someone if you want them to see it for a couple weeks. This means you can't open it while it is 'out' but you get it back after a certain amount of time.

11. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    I'm quite fortunate, my local library is connected to a much larger city library website that has a very large selection of free ebooks to borrow and read for a week or two. The formatting is very important to me so most free sites don't really fulfill my expectations. Plus, I like to show support for the types of books I enjoy in hopes that libraries will buy more of them. Project Gutenberg is amazing indeed for classics though!

12. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use BookBub, and also the free books from Apple iBooks. My favorite has to be Amazon, because every day they mark some books down to free for that day. You have to check regularly, but you can get some really good books for free if you do that.
    I put in the topic that I am interested in (say gardening) and then do the search by price from low to high. It will give you all of the free ones first, and then all of the 99cent ones and so on.
    I also have the Overdrive app, and that lets me borrow books online from the library.
    Another good thing about Amazon if the free lending library. You have to have a real Kindle, plus an Amazon Prime account, and then there are hundreds of books that you can borrow from the library (for as long as you want) and read them. You can only borrow one book at a time, so you have to finish that book and return it before you can borrow another one; but you can get someof the more expensive books to read that way.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually just search for the title and author of the ebook that I'm looking for at

. Sometimes I just search for the title of the ebook on google and see what comes up.

#13Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  14. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried

or

- both are good options depending on what you like to read.

15. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregorMember

Threads:
    When my girlfriend was given a new Kindle Fire by her daughter, she gave me her old Kindle. I keep it in my purse and read it when I am waiting somewhere for an appointment or for my daughter. I get my books free from BookBub. I have been happy with the selections they have plus everyday, I get an email from them with 4-5 book offerings and usually two of them are free. I used to keep a paperback book in the car, but the Kindle is so much nicer.

16. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes i download stuff from amazon that they offer for free other times i download books from torrent sites. I try to avoid spending money over books only because i know i can find most of them for free online. But yeah that's how i get my books online. ;P

17. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I like to go Waldorf Library as there are many free eBooks about Waldorf Education. I am grateful we can download those eBooks for free, as it really saves me a lot from buying the physical books as part of our curriculum. Moreover, there are also many good articles about Waldorf Education. It's useful for those who are interested in this educational approach.