Which do you prefer - foreign or domestic cars?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Esperahol • Jun 3, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I have had both brands and generally I find them more similar than different. That said (probably due to nostalga) I like the Toyota brand best - at least in cars. Trucks are something I get from Ford and only Ford.

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the age of the vehicle. If it is before 1975, Chevy all the way! If it is newer, the forein automakers are better. Right now I have a 2001 Kia and absolutely love it. It gets great mileage and I have only had to put a bigger battery in it all these years. The only reason I had to do that is because it is very cold in the winter where I live and the battery needed more CC amps to work in the winter.

3. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer the domestic vehicles, but only if they are from Ford. I know that Ford did not take any bailouts and the quality of the product has far outdone the Honda's I owned before.

4. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    My favorite brand is Audi and it has been since I was a child. It is a German brand, so I would have to go with a foreign brand. It is the country that my grandfather is from so I do not feel like too much of a sell out. Yeah, it is an awesome car and now that they have environmentally friendly ones...unstoppable.

5. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I really love German cars such as Volkswagen, Opel, Audi and Mercedes-Benz. They're really great and reliable vehicles. I own a Volskwagen Tiguan and I'm very satisfied with it.

6. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really have a preference. Many of the British car companies manufacture overseas nowadays. I do hold some sentiment for British manufacturing when it comes to clothes and food but not for cars. I think they use the same productions methods worldwide.

7. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I like domestic cars especially Ford. I own Ford mustang and I love it. I recently upgraded from 04 Ford convertible to a newer model.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I owned a Ford car once and swore to myself, "Never again!". Currently I have an Acura Legend. I love it even though it's not currently running. I don't think I could buying another model car. I have owned Toyota, Datsun (Nissan) and a Chevrolet. I would choose an Acura hands down.

9. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    One of my best and one of my worst cars (or trucks) have been Fords. Had a Focus that luckily was a lease. Got rid of that one once the lease was up, about the same time the warranty was up. Good to see the last of that one. In the shop for something all the time. And it was new. Like I said, glad it was a lease not a purchase.
    I now have a Ranger truck, had it for over ten years. Pretty good vehicle and I have been happy with it. It is on my list as a favorite. So one really good and one piece of crap, from Ford.
    I got told the company worked the bugs out of the Focus. Yeah? Well maybe that should have been done first before they started selling them.
    Another goodie, favorite car, 280 ZX. Very nice. So that fav was foreign.
    Next worst was a crappy little Pontiac.
    Ryder

10. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    These days, makers collaborate, so it's difficult to define a 'foreign' car. Until I had mu current Ford Fiesta, my favourite car was a Peugeot 106. It was reliable, and never cost us a penny apart from usual running costs, but as my arthritis got worse, I found it too awkward to get in and out of, and it only had two doors, so any passengers had to climb over the front seats. Most of our friends are in their 60s and 70s like us, so it wasn't practical to keep it.

My Ford Fiesta is great - very reliable and economical to run. I get around 60 miles to the gallon, as it's deisel, so my fuel bill is negligible. It keeps passing its ITV check, so I'll keep it until it starts to cost us money, then I'll go for another one.

11. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I have my brand preferences and they are both foreign and domestic. I had a Jeep Wrangler in the past that was awesome, I mean the thing was built like you wouldn't believe! Ford trucks seem to be the best of the trucks - they are the only truck I would ever own. I used to drive bus for county transportation and the Fords lasted a very long time. Chevys came to us with problems fresh off the lot and broke down frequently. These buses are the same front end under the hood as the heavy duty pick ups.

Cars I prefer a Volvo or Mercedes over any other car. Not because they are expensive, but if you could afford one now it will save you a lot of money over the years. They are literally the longest lasting cars as long as rust does not take over on the car. I don't remember which one was which, but the Volvo and Mercedes both made the longest lasting engine - one was over 700,000 miles and the other was short of 1 million miles. Pretty impressive to me and well worth the extra $5-$10 now if you can get a lot more years out of it. Of course I do not have one now as I do not want to take on a car loan now.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Japanese cars are the best in terms of efficiency, in my opinion. But American and European cars have their own advantages and charm as well. I mostly prefer European brands, because I like the luxury cars the best when it comes to automobiles. I'm not a very big fan of sports cars, either because I don't give as much value to speed as I do comfort and class.

13. danealegana

danealeganaActive Member

Threads:
    I'd go for domestic cars for everyday use. When something goes wrong, every mechanic in my area would know how to fix it and the spare parts are cheap and not that hard to find. If I'd go for foreign cars for luxury purposes, its the opposite.

Basically, I'd go for the most abundant and typical car in my location.

14. kidensika

kidensikaNew Member

Threads:
    German vehicles just feel so prestigious and are generally made to a really high standard and quality and so if im to choose based on that, i would have to say foreign cars do it for me. Of course on the other hand i generally like to pick cars based on the look and feel. If it looks good and the drive feels comfortable, safe and secure then that is the car i will pick.