White Or Brown Sugar?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by sunnyside • Jun 12, 2016.

1. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I buy brown sugar in very rare occasions so I use white sugar the most. For me white sugar it's the cheapest and will change it up depending on which costs less at the moment. To be honest I make natural juice on a daily basis and white sugar makes it taste better than brown sugar so white sugar all the way.

2. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    We hardly use sugar at home but when we do, I have brown sugar on standby. I'm not sure if it's healthier, but it's what my grandmother used for her coffee and something that I've also used for rice coffee during my childhood days. It's a bit cheaper, too, than its white counterpart. I hardly drink coffee but I generally use the brown sugar for recipes like the Korean chapchae or a local favorite, pork or chicken adobo.

3. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I think brown sugar is more whole and also has more nutrients than the white sugar. In terms of availability, white sugar is easy to find though.

4. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    You should limit your intake of both brown and white sugar, and brown sugar does contain slightly more essential nutrients than white sugar-but it's not really that healthy. I do fancy a bit of brown sugar in my iced tea though, along with some lemon-but brown and white sugar both have about the same amount of calories though, so you might want to be careful of that!

5. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    We make use of the white sugar here. Brown one costs a lot. And for that reason alone we don't have it here. But I see no problem with using either. I mean not often we have a choice on that. And it can be seriously damaging on the point where our use is often limited on that context. So we have to see what may or may not work out as well.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! What an informative data as far as sugar nutritious value. I am not aware of this. What I know is white sugar or washed sugar is less nutritious for it has more lime on it than that of brown or unrefined sugar. Thought we are used to put white sugar to our foods and drinks like tea, coffee, milk, but we do still use brown sugar. As to their price, brown sugar is cheaper than the white sugar.

7. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    I heard that the brown sugar is healthier, not sure if it's true or not. I buy the white sugar myself, since it's much cheaper - about half the price for the same weight. I don't really use a lot of sugar anyway, only sometimes for the cookies and that's about it. I guess I should be more concerned of what they put in the chocolate, since I eat those a lot, but I think I already know the answer.

8. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    My mother always buy brown sugar whenever she shops at the grocery store. She told me that she likes brown sugar than white sugar on her coffee. Since she is the "boss" in our family, we have no choice but to use brown sugar as well. And you are right, brown sugar is more affordable and healthier than white sugar.

9. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    We used to have white sugar at home too, then my dad started buying brown sugar regularly. I guess it's because of the price that he made that switch. We only have white sugar nowadays if the brown one isn't available.

10. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I have never felt a necessity of buying brown sugar. It cost more and I do not want to increase food cost. I also do not buy sugar cubes because cubes cost more than grated sugar.

11. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    I don't really have any preferences but i would chose white sugar since i don't have enough experience with brown sugar in any way.

12. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well they each have their places in my kitchen but I do end up using a lot more white sugar. Some of the foods with brown sugar though are some of my favorites.