Why Are Lego's So Popular?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by pafjlh • Mar 3, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    These little interlocking building blocks have been around for decades now. Yes, there have been different sets created of Legos along the way, to reflect pop culture but the originals are still a best selling kids toy. Not only do kids play with Legos but so do adults who create amazing sculptures with them or even use large legos to create building structures.

Perhaps that is what has made Legos stand the test of time. The fact that Legos let kids explore their imaginations. The building blocks help build creativity in children and for that matter adults as well.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Playing with lego is very creative and productive. As a kid, I had a big box of lego and it was my favorite medium to play with. All my dolls were sitting in a corner and watching me build houses, towns, even entire cities. Even as an adult, it relaxes me immensely to get out my lego and distract myself from all my worries and stress.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I played with my grandson making bridges and cars and all kinds of fun thinks with Lego. I would create all kinds of things with the blocks, it was very relaxing. I recently considered purchasing my own set of Lego
    so that I can play some more.

4. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    I have yet to see a household with children with no Legos in it! Legos are one of those timeless toys. You build with them, use your imagination with them, step on them and curse a bit. Really though, it's a great toy that we encourage in our home. It's a great break from video games and electronics for my kids to use their imaginations and build something. It nourishes creativity and teaches how things go together, how things work, and structural stability.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Lego has kept to strict quality standards over the decades, every single Lego block works marvellously unlike its competitors like Megablocks.

It's just like Minecraft, you can create anything you want using Lego blocks, you are only limited by your imagination. Given how wild kids' minds run I think this explains their popularity in itself.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lego is amazing and I think that it will always be a part of culture as far as children's toys go - because the idea is just too genius for it not to? But there are many new toys out on the market these days - much more immediate instant gratification toys, and by that I am talking about electronic toys. Tablets are the reason for a lot of manual toys' decline in my opinion, for sure.

7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I think their secret rests in the accessories & the individual characters. That's what I loved about Lego growing up. Also, we always end up tossing out the directions after the first build & create something ourselves from our imagination. It's also a genderless play set. A pile of Lego speaks to boys & girls equally.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ha! Nikole, the little ones sure do hurt if you step on one in the middle of the night. I've done that more than once.

Yes, I think the creativity and imagination that goes into playing with Legos is what made them and keeps them popular. I don't know any kids that dislike Legos. I even know adults who still like to play with them. I don't have my own set, but I will certainly play with them with my grandbabies. Even when kids are super small they can play with and enjoy these blocks. The big ones are really great for tiny kiddos. My granddaughter even likes just taking them out and putting them back in the container when she's done with them.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always thought that lego were so popular because there is not an age limit to where you are to stop playing with them? You can build things with them well into adulthood, or you can help build things with your children, and the possibilities are endless. I have to agree with the above poster about the fact that lego is a unisex toy also. Lego ticks a lot of boxes for being a good toy.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think they are so popular and have stood the test of time because they are so well made. I've bought these and also a few of the other competing brands and there's just something about how Lego is made that sets it apart from the rest. The build quality is just great and the sizes they use are just right for building things.

11. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I used to play Lego. Well aside from the recent waves created by the LEGO movie I think lego is popular because it stimulates the mind and creativity of a child or anyone who plays it. It is not boring. It is simple and easy to play. It also revolutionizes as the time goes by.

12. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    My children grew with up with Duplo and then Lego. They love different kinds of building toys. I think Lego was popular because it helps the children to use their imagination and they feel accomplished after finishing up with a project. They can also add more pieces or take out some pieces from their creation to make new ones. It is just a very educational toy to have!

13. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a nice way to entertain a kid while possibly helping him develop as well, since it's creative, fuels imagination and can ignite creativity/desire for arts in your child. Kinda sucks they are so expensive, but some of the knockoff brands are actually very good quality while being cheap.

14. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Well I think its fun and Lego gives a young child that creative feel. Building something out of small pieces is creative and helps your child develop in ways. Lego I find is one of the best toys available for children. I would rather my child build things out of Lego than play with plastic figures.

15. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My kids ages 6 and 12 love lego. I will look for used sets or used lego assortments for them. Also Toys R Us has them on sale regularly. The sets can be so expensive I will ask for them as gifts for birthdays or Christmas. They love building the sets but also given a large bin a random pieces will get creative and build their creations - houses, castles, cars etc. It's so fun to watch them become thoroughly engaged in an activity. My six year old can now follow the instructions independently and build the sets. What a sense of accomplishment for him.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, Lego's are ideal toys for creative kids and adults that like to build things. As for me, I was never drawn to them when I was a kid. I was drawn to the Brick Game and the Game N' Watch.

17. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess because they can be used and customized in so many ways. My son was a huge fan of legos when he was small. We used to buy them all the time. I think legos are some of the best toys for kids too, as it allows them to create, and use their imaginations. The only problem is they tend to lie around on the floor a lot and it is easy to step on them...and it hurts! Always, make your child pick up their legos!.

18. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I like to encourage children to be creative, and I think Lego is great for that, because there are many things that you can make from it. I used to play with it myself when I was younger, and I found that I was more than happy to spend hours building things and making different patterns with the colours. I know that I will encourage my children to play with it too, as it really is a great thing to have.

19. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Legos are very popular because they let you create anything you want. It lets creative people make whatever they want, and if you're not that imaginative you can find other ways to play with them.

20. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    Legos are a very fun and creative way for both children and adults to use their time. It feels really great to be able to build something out of numerous blocks. When you follow the manual and successfully build the correct model it feels good inside, especially when you are just a kid. What makes it more fun is that you can do it in your own creative way and create different things with the blocks even without following the manual. This is where Legos are very fun to play with because you can combine the different parts you purchased and create something really unique and beautiful that you can be proud of.