Why are most commercials deceptive?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Denis Hard • Mar 11, 2014.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see a lot of this when I look at the listings of other shops and how they write descriptions and compose their pictures. Often the best pictures and listings are superior simply because the 'shop owner' is a huge corporation exploiting workers in third world countries, which is egregious to me. It irks me that I have to compete with companies like that when I'm a one-woman show, working on a shoestring budget, but it takes money to make money, and many don't seem able to see through what's right in front of them and discern the truth.

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that most commercials are deceptive because companies know that they need to attract us to their product in the best way that they possibly can, and unfortunately this sometimes means bending the truth slightly. They are allowed to be deceptive, however they cannot lie about what their product can do, so as long as you are aware of the nature of advertisements, you should find that you can understand what the companies are offering.

3. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Beautiful women, well-toned men, grand cars, elaborate homes are some of the objects used to deceive the consumer. For example, and add showing a man being transformed into a delightful hunk in a few weeks by just utilising some new exercise gadget. In most instances people seeing these unreal results hasten to buy the machines only to find that many of them will not bring the results as advertised and these machines eventually end up in storage.
    May advertisers pay people to give their products or service rave reviews. People who have ever had any previous relationship with the products.
    The advertisers know that beauty and attractiveness will definitely sell, so they utilise these to fullest to trick customers into buying goods and services.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh ok. I know they are not checked on and tested. These people don't give a hoot lol. I wasn't aware that there were ingredients that did not need to be listed at all. What the hell? I cannot say that I am surprised though. It sucks for those that are restricted to a certain diet, because it's very difficult to be accurate about what goes into the body and what does not.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's disgusting.. our lives are in their hands and our governments are all "well oooookay, but don't hurt them too fast... here, don't put this on the label, it's too small to matter.. and break this one up into three names so people don't get suspicious". Blaaaah. Not fair. You can do whatever you want as long as it isn't too blatant. So sad that businesses go with it.. I wonder how hard it would be to find one that doesn't take advantage of their ability to harm for more money.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    It is pure profiteering. And they also know that the negative effects of these small doses of harmful ingredients may not take effect until it is too late for the people who are in detrimental health to make the link between the illness and the ingredients. But it is not even that simple, because they aren't listing some of the ingredients at all. I am sticking to my guns when I say that if we could all start farming, we would be a lot better off.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would absolutely love to. I want to join a commune! lol. I wouldn't be able to live off the land, off the grid by myself, but with a group of peopel that each have their own contributions; I could totally get behind that. So done with this lie everyone lives.

8. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    Because Americans are brainwashed to think of things in fantasy sense instead of reality. They've made fantasy more appealing than reality. If they showed a girl with hairy legs using a razor that they're advertising, that wouldn't be as appealing would it? Lol. Even though it can be reality! That's why.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    Me too, but I am sure that that choice would come with its own drama too. Lol. People are always going to be people, but that is not to say that we cannot be better. Food plays a large part of one's mental psyche too, as far as body chemistry and such. If we all ate better, no doubt crime would go down and such lol. I am serious.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    aw, I love your brain lol.. I'm glad you're serious, because I think so too! Same with turning the tv off.

11. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Commercials are deceptive because unlike when the shopper is alone looking for a product or buying it, they are aimed at the masses and therefore designed to create maximum appeal. There is also the psychological aspect of the motion graphics which blur the viewer's senses to the fact that the products are after all ordinary.

12. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I would not go so far as to say they are all deceptive, but certainly a majority of them are at least in some way, and for the most part I would say that it is okay. You can justify some of them based on target market and things like that, but then there are those when it is just bad. Those are usually the ones in the middle of the day and claim to give you money for free or things like that. Stay away from those ones and whichever others you may be really weary about.

13. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Most commercials are deceptive because they are trying to cash out on the fact that the mass does not want common products and services. For example, an old woman want to lift her wrinkles. She would be interested in buying anti wrinkle cream that removes her wrinkles just in 7 days instead of two months. Now the product that claims to lift wrinkles in seven days is a deceptive product, but the customer is more attracted on this.

14. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    YES, people see these actors who are already super pretty, they are models, they don't even need to wear the stuff that they are promoting to be beautiful. To me, these commercials send the wrong message and they know it.

When I see an ad for something like what you describe, I assume that the person modelling the product used it, and they look like they do because of that product. So misleading, their just paid to promote.

15. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Well, these people put a lot of money into marketing campaigns and they want a profit out of it. If they can make outrageous claims and lie a little about their product in order to be succesful, you can bet your soul they will definitely go into deception in order to attract your attention.

Most of them try to be edgy and over the top. Like those funny super bowl comercials,