Why Buy Expensive Electronics Which Do More Than What You Want?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Denis Hard • Jul 4, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most expensive electronics promise to do a lot more than the cheaper alternatives do. But if a cheaper alternative does everything you need it to, what's the point of spending more money on something that is more expensive?

Take phones as an example. If all you ever do is call people and maybe occasionally send text messages, do you need an expensive smartphone? Why not buy a simple, cheap phone that you would probably use for a longer time?

2. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    I think it's more about efficiency. Yes, a simple flip phone can provide all the necessary functions of calling and texting, however, we're not in a perfect world with a lot of time on our hands. As such, smart phones which can also serve as an internet browser, mail box, and gaming platform is a better investment. It can also be a matter of "status", where people with more simplistic phones are regarded as poorer and less capable.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it just depends on the needs of the person. A senior citizen who is not into Facebook and who simply needs to call and text can be quite content with a simple phone. But for the teenager or young adult that needs to take a lot of photos to upload it to Facebook, then it's no surprise that people will gravitate towards the more expensive phones.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It may be absurd but my husband is still using the old style cell phone which is for texting and calling only. Although it has a camera but one that is of a very low resolution. Anyway, since he always has his Canon digital camera so he doesn't need a phone with a camera. He refuses to buy a smart phone because he is more comfortable in using the old phone for communication. My smart phone is already more than 3 years and that's the length of time he had saved from buying a smart phone.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    @Denis Hard@Denis Hard, good OP.

My old one cell wasn't a smartphone and after it was dunked into a cup of grape juice and wouldn't power up even with a new battery I researched smartphones mainly for one with a camera. I did receive an unlocked smartphone as a gift though and I have to admit there were a lot of standard apps that I knew I wouldn't use, ever. I have no idea how much it cost and it isn't a name brand but I can use it to compare to what is available when it becomes useless.

6. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I personally think it is more of a personal satisfaction thing, I know a lot of people, mostly old people and young aged kids who got the best smartphones in the market and as we all know they do not give them the right use, because they just do not know what those phones are for and they just have them because they're trendy and cool, unfortunately, that is the society where we're living in nowadays, it's a pretty common thing.

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    There are some people who buy expensive smartphones for their aged
    parents which remain under underutilised due to the fact that they
    usually use them to make and receive calls or to a lesser extent, to
    text. Such money can be used to invest in their parent's lives in a
    more sensible way.

8. derf

derfNew Member

Threads:
    Because you never know when you have to use certain features that you thought were useless to begin with. i have used features on my smartphone that I thought were useless at first but have gotten me out of tight situations. Also if you buy a more expensive phone while it doesn't mean all the time it is better it can certainly last longer than a cheap smartphone. You are also paying for better quality if you are paying for a more expensive smartphone. More people that need to use a lot of applications will more gravitate towards a more expensive phone.

9. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with this thread that buying a very powerful gadget with functions that you do not use is a waste of money. My phone for texting and calling is still the good old Nokia that is not a smart phone. For my internet use, I was given a used smart phone. But I'm so glad to have received a tablet last week. The big screen is very convenient to me. Now I have to discard the smart phone. The tablet will replace it for my internet use.

10. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    That's why I don't buy a very expensive smarphone or a laptop. I can get by with a phone that has 512 or 1 GB of RAM, so no need to spend more on the waterproof ones. I also don't need to carry a laptop with me, so I would be content with just having a desktop PC.

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I don't find it a waste of money to buy a smartphone with features that you may not be using today but can be useful in some other ways in the future. I would always say that I mainly use my cellphone to call but since it is a smartphone, I had been able to use its capabilities to connect to the internet when my laptop had to be repaired. Having a smartphone with all these extra features need not be too expensive if we choose a cheaper brand or take advantage of sales or coupons. I can't say that senior citizens will have less needs of some smartphone features because once you introduce them to it, they'll realize that they just found another way to entertain themselves.

12. Meeseeks

MeeseeksMember

Threads:
    Totally agree! I'm a person who buys what he needs so this was a total non-sense for me. People should spend more time thinking twice before buying something.

13. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer the cheaper version of a smartphone because I don't need the other options offered by those high-end devices. If the phone that I can make calls, send SMS, surf the web and that is what I want. I don't need a cloud to store my information, I don't even know how that works. Just look those gadgets as an egg. you can powder them, have two yokes, large or small, different shell color. They are all the same. It will still be an egg and it will taste like an egg.

14. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Expensive electronics are more durable than cheap electronics. My refrigerator is an antique one from West Germany and it is more durable than most refrigerators today. Expensive electronics are worth the money.

Since we are talking about Gadgets here, An Iphone can last longer than a cheap made in China Android device that will be broken in 3 years.

15. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think multi functionality electronics save your money and time. And as you can see those electronics are higher in cost. But it can earn you some decent value for money. And on that point I'd surely recommend getting one for yourself. I personally don't find much value in expensive things. But if you spend the money right way then yes surely it can be good enough for the same. I would say it is money well spent for sure.

16. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I love this title and it sums up my feelings quite well, but for some reason I think that people just need to have the best and the latest. I have always wondered why people need all the high power graphics and all that stuff for the computer, but to each their own.

17. lucykey

lucykeyMember

Threads:
    I personally have always desired to live a simple and affordable life according to my reach. I get tempted when I hang out with my friends who to some extent influence me to change my mind about my living. They have big and expensive phones this intimidates me.But having expensive electronics doens't Change who one is.So I'm comfortable with what I can afford.