Why is it that there are so many bad reviews about As Seen n TV products?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by darelle4 • Sep 23, 2013.

1. Sarah Ali

Sarah AliNew Member

Threads:
    Probably because they tend to exaggerate in TV ads. They make you think like it's the best product out there, and that you really need it. The viewers will have very high expectations. And then after getting the products, the quality is a lot lower than they have expected

2. Banister

BanisterMember

Threads:
    The major reason is that those who advertise these products on the TVs do not at anytime take a step to taste them prior to claiming their benefits to the clients on the TVs. This is because most TV advertisers only want to gain popularity and more money by advertising the products of as many producers as possible.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly, the commercials make these products seem amazing but there are probably special effects involved. I doubt that green pans are so nonstick that you can make an omelet slide off of the pan just by blowing on it, yet that's what happens in the commercial. That pan was probably heavily sprayed with nonstick spray to get that effect in the commercial.
    Those styling wands that supposedly detangle hair and smooth it out, just get caught in my daughter's hair and don't work. The models probably had tangle free hair to begin with and are pretending to detangle.
    It's all fake and that's why people are disappointed.

4. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I think the TV commercials in particular seem to go to great lengths to make flashy and exaggerated claims...so people have certain expectations that they might not have if, for instance, they had just seen it in a store without those claims and expectations attached.

5. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I use to be a big fan of as seen on tv items, because they offer bargains and they present it like the items really work, well from my experience I have order lots of things and some of them don't perform as stated some of them don't work and some just plain no good. So I stop ordering and even buying from online stores.

6. fruii29

fruii29Member

Threads:
    I don't think that all the products AS Seen On TV have bad reviews. I think those that does not have a too technical feature can be trusted. But the rest, I suggest buy something like it somewhere else. A place where you can say you trust the dealers. Nowadays, it's hard to know if they will work. Not all the items have the money back guarantee. I don't think it has a value for money. All the more that we have to scrutinize what we are buying for.

7. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    I really appreciate people who take the time to review products presented in infomercials. I've seen some reviews for products that I had no idea even existed. I think that the reason for which there are so many bad reviews is that nobody actually thinks about reviewing a product that works as they expected it to work. You only feel like warning others about something that you've had a bad experience with and thus good reviews rarely make it to the top on the internet. It's a way for some people to vent and not feel so bad about their bad investment. But this is no reason, for me at least, to believe that all products presented in infomercials are of poor quality.

8. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    The infomercials lead you to believe that you are buying some life-changing and revolutionary product when that really isn't the case. In a lot of cases, the quality is actually very low. People think they're getting something awesome and are disappointed when that isn't the case. Plus, when you order the stuff on TV, you end up paying an arm and a leg for shipping. Some of the products are worth it if you can get them cheap at Dollar General or Walmart or something without worrying about shipping charges.

9. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    There was an "As seen on TV" store at a mall nearby a few years back. It was interesting to be able to see these products in real life and many of them were pretty poorly constructed. Others were perfectly fine.

I think the reasons for the horrible reviews for a lot of these products had to do with the purchasers. Many products are fitness related and the ads make it seem you can get fit without any effort. The buyer isn't prepared to put in the effort to use the product properly and gives it a bad review. Juicers and other kitchen appliances work well, but if the buyer doesn't have a huge supply of fresh fruits and veggies all prepped and ready to go (as they do in the ads), the product cant deliver.

10. DankAllen

DankAllenBanned

Threads:
    It is probably because they are cheaply made items that are put on TV to make a quick buck before word gets put that the quality is bad. I don't know how many things that I head about that were bad. I can only count a few things that were good.

11. Scottf13

Scottf13Member

Threads:
    I have always been of the position that any company that has to create an entire infomercial to sell their product is probably selling something I don't want. Simpler advertisements work very well for higher quality products. When you need a spokesperson to shill something it can tell you a lot about the product. Not all as seen on TV stuff is bad though. I just wait to see them in stores, first.

12. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I think it's because some of them just end up in a cabinet somewhere never to be seen again. Some of them work great but you can easily do the same thing with something that you already have and some don't work at all. Plus the processing and handling fees are so expensive it upsets people when they realize the final total. Plus with all the "extras"that cost extra they will talk you into buying.

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Exactly. People end up watching those infomercials and they look soooo amazing. Most of the products are super cheap quality, though, which is why they sell for so cheap and people are so tempted to try them out. They're never going to work exactly like they do on TV, though.

14. micah13

micah13Member

Threads:
    It depends, really. I've seen many of the products they're trying to sell on TV, and many of them are just overpriced and cheaply made. They're just not worth it. Often, the infomercial is great, but when you get it, it looks nothing like the video.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    True, I own two blenders that were formerly featured in infomercials and I hardly ever use them because they're a pain to clean. The infomercials make it seem like you'll use that blender every day and it'll become part of your routine, but the reality is that once you have to take it apart and clean it, it's not so fun and convenient anymore. Right now they are in a cabinet, just like you said.
    My ex bought a rotisserie from an infomercial and they automatically subscribed him to some recipe club that charged his credit card every month. It took a long time for him to untangle that mess.

16. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I would say the biggest reason there are bad reviews on it is because they build up the advertising like crazy and the quality of the product doesn't actually match what they show on TV. Plus the fact that you don't get to test out the product, you probably build it up to be much better than it actually is, so by the time you get it you are disappointed. I have purchased a few products on TV that I am happy with, but for the most part they were all letdowns.

17. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's hard to say what people were expecting when they order this stuff, but you would think most people would be used to all the gimmicks they use to make a product look better than it really is on television. For example, with cooking products, of course they have a food stylist making the cooked food look way better than it ever would when cooked with that device. If it's some beauty product, they always shoot the "before" picture with horrible lighting and a miserable expression on the models face - then do pleasant lighting for the "after" product, and make them smile. For diet products, in many instances they actually shoot the "after" image before, then make the model get bloated quickly to shoot the "before" image.

18. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I must say that people have their own opinions about the products. I think people think that the products will be much as you expect but then you get the real thing it is so different and probably does not work as you think. I would also not rate them well until I get the value of my money.

19. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Probably because the vast majority of As Seen on TV products are awful!

20. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    It's because many of them are of an extremely low quality. The worst part is that they try to promote them on infomercials like they're life-changing, revolutionary products. They're generally cheap, so they should at least promote them for what they really are...people would still buy them. Now, even if there are some good ones, so many previous "As Seen on TV" products have been crappy in the past, so they all look cheesy and low-quality.