Why You Shouldn't Buy Too Many Children's Books

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Denis Hard • Dec 15, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sure one has to buy kids books but you shouldn't buy too many books because not all kids like to read. There are parents who buy their children so many books and only one or two of those books ever get read. To avoid wasting money buying books which will probably lie on some shelf forever, buy only a few books and borrow all other books from a library. This would save you a lot of money.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    These days we just rely on digital downloads and apps a lot more, so we don't end up acquiring too much expense or clutter. The best thing about it is that some of the apps even have a narrator so you could just listen and follow along with the pictures instead, and sometimes they even include a few games as a bonus. Also, it's great that a lot of these are free and we have also gotten some paid ones through promo periods in the past where they became free for a short period of time. Sometimes we pay for unlocking some features or specific apps but most of the time we could just rely on free ones since there are so many.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Children's books are good investment or should I say good souvenirs particularly now that the digital versions are getting more popular than the printed version. Our books in the olden times were ravaged by the flooding of our house and I'd say it is a big loss like a part of my childhood was taken away from me. Children now may be using the gadget but the printed books are still good for them.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know. I sort of feel like if the books are there, the children will take interest in them, and want to read them a lot of the time. This is not guaranteed though, as some children have learning difficulties and others are just not interested. But I just think that it is nice to have the option there. Of course, that dos not mean that you have to go overboard with the amount of books that you purchase.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    True, a parent must gauge their kids hobbies and interests first before buying a ton of books that won't be even read. I noticed that most kids nowadays aren't into reading and they prefer going to Facebook or playing video games, so unless the kid is a certified and proven bookworm, then the parents should not spend too much money on books.

6. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I admit I buy books and have books on shelves but most of them have been previously owned. I love to read for myself and to my grandchildren. With the exception of the children's books I purge what I haven't gotten around to reading or lost interest in and donate them.

7. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I got my nephew some Dr. Seuss books before. I was enjoying the book more than he was haha. I just really LOVE Dr. Seuss's books. I mean he liked the book, I was just enjoying it more. He does not love to read at all though. My sister cut down on getting him books. He enjoys watching TV A LOT more then reading or listening to a book.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some time in the past kids could read books because when they got bored they'd have no option but to read the books. However these days I've noticed when a parent wants their child to stop nagging them, they'll just hand them their phone and the kid will play some game or some songs, etc. In time they get to love this as their entertainment and the books might never be touched.

Maybe the better option would be to buy a new book only after all the books have been read, sell the old ones to fund new purchase . . .

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    And it will save a lot of trees. I actually approve of the lessening book sales. It's great that everything can be obtained digitally these days (although, admittedly, I prefer physical books.. but I only buy if they're truly great and will be used again and again).
    That said, we are who we are.. a child who will love to read will find a way to read. People don't give them enough credit.. make it available to them and stop right there. If they don't love to read, they're still human.. they're still normal. They don't need anything pushed on them. Stand back and see who they become.

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Research has shown that children who read at home and have a love of reading do better at school. Reading at home improves children's reading scores. I agree that parents do not need to spend a lot on buying books rather go to your public library and take out books to read to your children and take out books that are at your child's reading so they can read independently. Fostering a love of reading is one of the greatest gifts we can give our children. When children can read and enjoy reading school is just that much easier for them. Reading runs across the curriculum so it only makes sense that if children can't read then they will have difficulties with word problems in math, science, social studies etc. In this digital age, children can read books online, there are some great websites like

and

that develop reading skills.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lol. That is true. But I was more imagining my three and two year old niece and nephew. When they come to our house, which is their grandmother's house, they always take an interest in our book case. There are already three children living here, so I have a kids bookcase for them, and my niece and nephew always seem t gravitate towards the books, and have even cried in the past when they have been taken away from the book case.

12. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, you don't want to waste money even though you can find books for very cheap at gently used children's stores. But we got books for my daughter and our family members got her some too when she was 1. She didn't start reading until 2 and now she's a pro at 3 years old. It's still good to read to your kid even if they don't seem interested. But there's a children's store near us that have so many things for cheap. You can find books for .50 to $1.00 and that's great. It's nice to have books around for when the time comes.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    With kindles and all of those ebook readers these days, I don't even really think that parents need to spend money on physical copies of books. The kindle edition of most books on Amazon are actually a lot cheaper than the hardback copies and such. I have taken to purchasing kindle edition books for this very reason. The prices are so much cheaper.

14. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I think this all depends on the child. I was and still am one of those book worm kids. I remember when I was younger I read books from all kinds of genre. And no this doesn't include the books mandatory for class either. I'm not sure how popular comic books are but it was a hit back in the day. Then there are lots of kids shows based on books like Arthur or Curious George. Maybe you can try buying books that have TV shows that the kid watches.

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My kids are like me.. they find it more convenient to flip through a physical book than to mess around with an e-reader. If they ever create one with pages, we'll be all over them lol.
    Happy New Year! Hope your holidays were good? xo :)

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have been waiting for you to pp back up again. Happy New Year!! :) Hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas!!! I used to love the whole physical experience of reading a book too, until I saw the prices of those ebooks lol. I am saving up to go to Amsterdam at the moment too, so any way that I can cut down is a must. I actually downloaded an android app on Google Play store the other day, where it will read your ebook to you, which is great if you are tired, and the eye-movement of reading is making you fall asleep, but you would like to stay awake and take in more of the story.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, they're cheap! I have tons, but they just sit there lol. I'll try harder eventually. I tend to read more learny stuff anyway now, so I don't get much time for writings that aren't articles or studies lol. That's probably my problem.. this internet thing has given me a bad case of short attention span! I do have some learny books I've been meaning to get into but.. meh... they're long lol.

Yes, learny!

Amsterdam! I'm coming, wait for me! lol... That's awesome, you'll love it. A friend of mine went a little while ago and he brought back amazing pics and stories for me. You'll love it. Who are you going with (like I might know them haha)

And yes, we had a pretty great Christmas.. although I was kinda preoccupied with waiting for next years lol. So unlike me, but I still made it great for the famjam :)

18. MrsE

MrsENew Member

Threads:
    Thank heavens, a voice of reason! There is a reason that all the teachers encourage the children to read, because it is a huge and fundamental part of human development in this day and age! There are children in Africa, India, all over the world who walk miles to and from school, children who dream to own their own book, because reading is knowing and knowing is power to change your circumstances. Please don't take your privileges for granted, teach your children humility and a thirst for knowledge, and let them know how blessed they are.