Work as you travel?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Mar 28, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have a long vacation and you intend to stay in the country, city or state you're visiting, you could supplement what you intended to spend during your holiday with cash obtained from doing some fun activity like shearing sheep if you're in Australia, picking fruits in the Mediterranean areas.

This can not only save you money because you'll get free accommodation in your work place but it will put some more money in your pocket.

2. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    This is a great advice, being a Greek and living in an area with many tourists, i can confirm that the locals like to provide foreign travelers with some part-time job offers (usually 10-15 days) especially for positions like waiters or receptionists. The trick is to arrange to be paid per day, as there are some incidents of locals refusing to pay.

3. Denis Hard

Threads:
    I think such an arrangement - - getting your payment daily would be a good idea if you don't intend to stay in the same town for a long time. At the very least one can earn enough to buy some good gifts to send back home to friends or family.

4. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    That's true! And by getting paid early you can see the local prices and wages and arrange accordingly your budget, so you don't have any sad last minute surprises. I knew a couple that overestimated the power of dollar here and left earlier that planned because the could not afford it.

5. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    That's a really interesting idea. Before I clicked on this post, I was assuming you meant some sort of freelance set up where you worked your regular job while visiting a new county. It would be cool to try a new or unique job in a new place!

6. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    That's a great idea. I like the idea of working jobs in other countries because it is an experience in itself. By having a small source of income, you will allow yourself to see the country as you intended to. The trip will be more enjoyable overall.

7. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, this is very possible. Being a musician, while on a US tour for three months, I was given several opportunities to play the piano for some church services and I was given a monetary "love gift" for every event. There was also a time when a parent in a state I was staying in asked if I could give short lessons to her daughter during our stay. It wasn't a chore for me and so I agreed. I was happy to have extra cash for shopping. It's really great when we can earn a little something during our travel; but sometimes we just want to relax and not think of work, too.

8. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    Many things to do in for a long vacation like as I think pet is most famous animals for the long vacation which is good for those who likes pets and play with them..

9. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Steve! It is really a new thing for me because I have never heard about it before. If it’s happening so I think it is a great idea to spend your leisure time in any activity. Right now I am enjoying bus tours hawaii. After finishing it, I will go to Greece for spending fifteen days. What kind of activity can I do there? Would you like to tell me please?

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I worked at a summer camp several years ago and SOOO many of the staff were international students instead.

Why? Because it was a great way for them to get to see another country while getting paid for the summer. They got to go out to Boston, NYC, etc, and still earned a bit of money while they were at it!

11. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    WOW! I...have...never...imagined this one! This is a brilliantly ingenious idea! I definitely will have to try this one, the next time around that I go on vacation! It's not only a practical way to enjoy the vacation, whereby you will be able to earn money, but it allows us to fully enjoy the length and breadth of the trip, and all that the area entails!
    I really think that if we're able to fully research these opportunities that are available, and discover that they are truly legit, then we should definitely partake in such ventures, which will not only gain us financial benefit, but will allow perhaps, a new skill to be added to our repertoire! We'll be able to say, "I sheared sheep in Australia!" Imagine the stories that we'll be able to take back, to share with the generations! And we'll have a heart-full of memories, photo ops, and a whole lot more! This is awesome! Gonna follow up on it soon!

12. Denis Hard

Threads:
    If you are lucky, say land a sheep shearing job on a farm in Aussie, you may even get free accommodation on the farm. Good thing is whilst working you'll make friends who'll show you around places which you wouldn't have seen. You'll get free meals, fancy treats and stuff.

There's one guy [I met once] who knows some carpentry. When he travels abroad, first thing he does is convince people that they've never seen the kind of stuff he can make — and he gets hired [that easily]. He usually makes good cash on his trips.

13. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is a good idea to have a part time job. You will earn and save money at the same time. Given a chance i will take the opportunity to work part time as long as it is legal.

14. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    That said, I think it is also important to consider the type of visa you are on while visiting. In fact many countries do not allow visitors to work for monetary benefit even if it is short-term if they enter the country on a tourist visa. Australia is an example of such I believe, where you would need a working-holiday visa instead if you intend to work. You would have to double check on that though.

While it certainly will help in supplementing your finances while touring another country, make sure you do not break the laws!

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually don't like mixing work with relaxation but this is a good idea. I think if it were more accessible or if it were marketed the right way then more people would actually do it. I think it would also be possible to exchange your services or skills with some vendors in exchange for their products or services too if they are up for it, but it might be necessary to be more forthcoming since it's not a practice that is used very much these days.

16. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, this. Don't want to get your pass to the country revoked because you wanted to make a bit of side money.

If I do any work while I'm on the go it's typically on my laptop, as a writer. Even then I try to avoid working on the road unless it's already some sort of business excursion, which isn't usually the case. Better to immerse yourself in the vacation and leave the work stuff back home.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never considered working while on holiday, but this makes sense especially if you're on a long holiday. My holidays never really stretch beyond 2-3 weeks and are purely for a bit of R&R. I wonder how that would work in terms of working papers, because that could pose a problem in some countries?

18. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Yap seems good but not it that sense. If i am on work so my whole concentrate would be in it. Same like to vacations, If i am on vacation would love to enjoy my journey because traveling offers us a lot and i would never want to skip that charm due to my work. I will prefer to first complete my duty then will freely go to enjoy my tour. What will you say guys???

19. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since we travel for leisure, I don't see myself doing some work to earn money during our vacation particularly in our trip abroad. What we do to save on accommodation is get a hotel via booking.com. For our recent trip to Vietnam, we were charged $321 for 3 nights. And when we extended our stay, the charge is $120 per night. The hotel concierge said rates in booking.com is discounted.

20. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    WWOOFing (world wide opportunitties on organic farms) is a great option. Here's a good link to get started:

That's primarily farm work.

and

also have options.

In the US, work camping or workamping is fairly common. You work X number of hours per week on maintenance or camp store or housekeeping or whatever work they need and in exchange, you get your RV site free. Some offer cash pay for hours worked beyond the minimum. Workampers are used by both commercial campgrounds (such as KOAs) and by state and national parks. Some places, like "dude ranches" and other tourist lodges will give you lodging as part of your wages while you work for them during the tourist season.