Would You Buy Used For Your Children

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by toradrake • Jan 2, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think a lot of people would change their minds if they found themselves in need.

Gently used clothing and other items can be cleaned. Besides, things can often be found that are new, so I don't know why anyone would bypass a lower price on something good like that just because it's in a second hand shop. Maybe it's stigma, maybe they don't feel like cleaning it. /shrug

I bought things for my kids when they were growing up, especially coats and things like Christmas dresses and stuff. Special occasion outfits are usually worn once, because the kids outgrow them. I see no problem buying a holiday dress that's been worn once and paying 5 bucks for it instead of $40 for a new one that they will wear once. Of course, I'd always clean it first, whether thrifted or hand me down.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my daughter was in school she was either ripping her clothes or leaving them some place. I could not replace her clothes as fast as she was destroying them so I started going to the used clothes store for her clothes, it was the best thing I ever did for my budget. I still go to the 2nd hand store to get items to fill in the wardrobe for myself and the grandkids.

3. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a problem buying used clothes for my children. There is a children's consignment shop not far from my house. I buy clothes for my children from there all the time. They have some really cute clothes and a lot of them are designer clothes. If the items are in good shape and don't show a lot of wear I buy them. I also take my children's old clothes to the consignment shop and I get paid for clothes my children can no longer wear.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    As long as it's safe, why not? Safety is the most important factor that must be considered for buying toys for the kids, because they can't do that for themselves that it becomes our responsibility. As long as those used toys or garments remain at the top-level of hygiene, I would keep on considering buying something like that.

5. selina

selinaMember

Threads:
    No way, all we earn and whatever we do for saving is only for kids happiness and I can't buy used clothes and toys for my kids. I believe that if they get new things then they may improve their knowledge by having new toys and gadgets and there are new fashion style clothes available these days for kids and used clothes are really bad idea.

6. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I am one of the biggest advocates of Thrift Stores, anyone who acts like the stuff in it is second hand needs to remember that at one time this was new. If the clothing still is in great shape and looks great so what is the problem. Take it home wash it and its as good as new. As for not buying things for your children to wear there, my parents use to do it all the time. They were on a very fixed budget so they did buy us clothes at a Thrift Store at times. They had the same philosophy that I have about the items that they were new at one time. I think its awful that your friend felt this way, because the dress sounded adorable and like you said it looked new, and if it was your daughters size why not buy it. No one would have known where it came from unless you told them.