Would you deny your kid anything?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Denis Hard • Apr 30, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The worst mistake any parent could make is take their kid shopping in places where they might have stuff a kid can be interested in. On more than one occasion [when shopping] I've seen kids go all crazy yelling that they wanted something, they needed to have it, etc, until their parents either agreed to buy them what they wanted or using threats, coerced them to shut up and forget about it.

If you went shopping with a kid and hadn't budgeted for whatever may appeal to the kid suddenly, would you give into his/her demands or be firm with them and tell them you're not buying that [whatever "that" is] and that's final?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    When I was little I used to want all the toys that came before my eyes. My parents simply said no, or tried avoiding walking in front of toy stores :D And why not? I had plenty of toys, but you know how kids are, they want them all! As an adult I now understand how it's like to have a kid and I'd do the same. Having children is expensive and most times you can't afford buying many toys and you must focus on the more important things like clothes, food and school equipment. Not to mention that buying all the things a kid wants, when he wants it, tends to build a spoiled little monster. And we don't want that, do we?

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I probably wouldn't. As a child, I wanted toys of course but I don't think I wanted a lot and if I did it wasn't anything expensive. If I can get by then my kid could too. If and when I have kids, they can play with my old toys if they want something else because I plan to keep some of them.

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I have a young baby at the moment and neither me or my husband like shopping so I don't see three of us wandering around shopping malls a lot in the future. But if that ever happens to me then I will make sure that the only time we would go out to shopping malls is when we actually have a budget and an extra budget for such case.

5. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the situation and what it is. I definitely don't think that parents should buy their kids everything that they ask for in a store...they'll be broke, and the kiddos will never be satisfied! I don't think I would necessarily say "no" about every single thing. My parents always did this, and I honestly felt deprived. To this day, I think about some of the things that I desperately wanted as a child that I know my parents could've afforded. Maybe that's a spoiled brat mentality, but I wasn't a spoiled brat.

I'm just saying, if the child is being good and has been good and wants something small and affordable, maybe you can say "yes" every now and then.

6. streakanime

streakanimeMember

Threads:
    You do not want your child to grow up thinking they can have anything and everything they want. But, at the same time... I'm going to spend more money on things for my son than I do for myself. You want your child to be happy/satisfied, but you do not want them to develop a spoiled or deserving attitude.

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If I have a kid, I will tell and explain to him why I can't buy it for him. I will try to make him understand it. If he still he insists then that's the time that calls for disciplinary action. I will reinforce his attitude for being such adamant. It must not be condoned and the more that I wouldn't buy that item he's being so stubborn for. I will make it happen that he think that when he acts that way, he could get what he wants. What I will show him is the more that he's not going to be able to get what he likes if he acts that badly. Kids must learn this, so they wouldn't grow up with that attitude.

8. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I already have a kid that demands stuff but once I can see it isn't something worth or might not be a good for her, I don't buy it. I instead give her something else but cheaper. If she insist, I tell her i can't afford it. So she has to become bigger to earn and buy it herself and for it to be done she has to eat well. and then i buy her food instead.

9. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Kids need to learn that they can't get everything they want, right when they want it. If you constantly give in you'll raise brats who grow up to be self-absorbed adults. I think its a good idea that when you go shopping for a child to take a favorite toy with them so hopefully that will distract them from wanting to buy something else. Maybe not lol. But I would let the kid know that we're not buying any toys ahead of time and that if they're good by not fussing ect... that you'll get them something on another trip to the store.

10. Gadzooks

GadzooksMember

Threads:
    I can't go shopping without my kids because that would require leaving the little ones home, which is illegal these days. I feel it is better for them to learn that yes they will see things they want but they don't always have to get what they want. I tell my children that of course they want it, if the manufacturers didn't make it appealing they would go out of business. My children know better than to throw a fit. They know that it will only get them in trouble and they will never get what they want. I have had to teach them the hard way. When they were toddlers I would have to leave a store or a fun place because of their behavior. They know if they want to stay and look then they have to be good. I don't tolerate misbehavior in stores. I'm always being complimented on how good my kids are. I do think it has to do with them being girls as well, they want to do good and make mommy proud. Boys are more trouble makers - that I have seen.