Would You Forgo Tipping Just To Save Money?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by sidney • Oct 2, 2015.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    If I can afford to, I certainly will tip. I know many of these places pay meager emoluments so it's good that I and other persons may be able to to add something to the pool, which could be of some help to these workers. However, I will not stretch myself to contribute if I might not be able to afford it.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you. So a tip for all those who are good in sports, try to pursue the NBA or any similar high profile league professionally, so that you can get paid millions when you start to play professionally! :D

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mean, I don't begrudge them for the money that they make. They make that money abased upon how upside down out society is, and I am happy for them as individuals, because if I was in their situation I' be very happy with my earnings. But at the same time, I am not happy with societal priorities.

4. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I do tip even when I do not have enough money. I may not tip as much but I still do. I am accustomed to tipping when I go out to eat so I feel if I am going out to eat then I need to tip. I guess it is just the custom that I am used to and it is hard to break old habits.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass. Also, a person should try his or her best not to land that kind of job as much as possible so that they won't be stuck with below minimum wage, right? There are lots of other jobs to apply on, like a mall job, for example.

6. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I tip in instances where I think the person behind the counter probably deserves a raise and would do better by me out of appreciation. I do not do it out of sheer expectation, seems ridiculous.

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    I mean, I don't know if that would be the solution, due to the fact that the services that tips are usually awarded for - they are convenient and necessary to our current society. I like those services and I think life would be harder without them being available to us. The only way to solve this issue seems for them to be to raise the payment that people in these services get.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, True, it's really the government's job to ensure that the salaries of service crew employees are adequate, but I don't think they will really do anything about it since it's been a long time since someone did something about it. If I live in the US, I will make sure that landing a service crew job would be my LAST resort, if I didn't get accepted to other better jobs. lol

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    That is also true, but that is the only solution that will actually solve this issue. Of course, if people all banded together and stopped hating each other for religious differences, racial differences, and all the other differences that the mainstream media uses to keep us all battling one another, then I am certain we could get the government to do something about it. But since we are willing to tear each other down for not tipping enough, instead of the only people who can actually do something about it, we remain in this situation.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not necessary to tip because most restaurants levy a service charge and customers don't realize it until they actually take the time to go over their receipts. I once made the mistake of tipping a rather pricey restaurant. I regretted it later on when I saw the almost $2 service charge on my receipt. That's twice as big as the tip I usually give. So word to the wise: look at your bill first.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    There is actually something called Marxism. Is anybody aware of it? I don't know the whole scope of it, but I was reading an article about it today - how one restaurant owner made the employees shareholders in the business to where they were not getting paid the minimum wage, and did not need tips. Apparently the restaurant is flourishing more due to this move.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, In the UK, are the service crew workers adequately paid? Since it seems like tipping isn't mandatory there.

@xTinx@xTinx, I didn't know that, but I guess the service fee goes to the store instead of the waiter? If that's the case then that's quite deceptive.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I should qualify. The thing is, many waitresses and waiters in my part of the world are well-educated people, meaning they finished baccalaureate degrees in either Hospitality Management or Hotel and Restaurant Management. Others have culinary experience. So those employed at restaurants, hotels and other formal establishments receive salaries well above the minimum wage. The restaurant management has the discretion to distribute the service fee among their employees or use it for store operations. Because service fees are usually exorbitant, those on a budget tend to forgo tipping.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    No, tipping isn't mandatory here, but I am finding that more and more restaurants are just adding the tip onto your bill at the and, and you end up paying a tip because you think it is all inclusive in paying for your meal. It is theft when you think about it, but people don't know they are being charged extra for a tip. Service workers are not rich, but they don't seem poor to me either.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @xTinx@xTinx, Well, if their wage is high already then the servers don't really need tips then. I guess the money goes to the establishment.

@DreekLass@DreekLass, I see, well they are getting wiser I guess by adding the tip in your bill. They probably guessed that most people don't want to tip to be able to save money lol.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I don't know. I feel like they know it is not a social custom over here like it is in other parts of the world, and them just adding it onto the bill at the end is there way of trying to condition us to get used to it. But it is very sneaky and underhand. You only really ever figure out what is going on when you really scrutinize the bill at the end of your meal. Most people will pay it because they don't want any drama.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, Well restaurants are expensive anyway, so people should just eat in fast food so that they won't be required to tip or get deceived by additional charges in the bill, lol.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lol. But not everybody is going to do that. I feel like most people don't mind that they have to pay the tip, or if they were to know about it, they would not mind paying it. But my thing is just tell people what they are paying for. Be upfront about it, and let people decide whether or not they want to spend their money.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, True. I think the reason why they hide it is because they don't want to lose customers that will get turned off by those hidden charges. However, when you order via delivery, they are mostly transparent with the delivery fee.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    Most of the places that I order fast food from - mostly chinese food - doesn't have a delivery fee, although I do know that it is a very popular thing with fast food places that deliver. But that is a legitimate fee to pay. You are paying for the delivery and for the place having to employ drivers - the gas in the cars. But just adding on unnecessary tips? Complete rip off!!