Would you ride a motorbike?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Peninha • May 20, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ouch, having an husband as a police officer puts you in touch with reality in a way most people aren't, so he sees the reality of motorbikes. It would actually be interesting to see some statistics on the number of victims with motorbikes and cars, I bet that with bikes the number of deaths is way higher.

2. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't ride a motorbike on a daily basis, it's basically trading the comfort and safety of a car with looking cooler and going through traffic a bit faster.
    While I see that those are pretty big pros, I prefer the safety of a car :)

3. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I will someday when my current car is too old and I can't afford a new one. Actually, I've been thinking about getting a bike for financial reasons. Gas is so expensive these days, it's just not economical to drive everywhere. Besides, traffic is really bad and I also hate getting stuck in traffic. Sometimes, I envy those riders that just weave through cars with ease. The best thing about bikes is that I don't have to worry about parking space.

4. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    No way and never would i even consider riding a bike. They are just to dangerous and unpredictable as far as who's out on the streets. Where i live, a man was killed riding his motor vehicle by some punks that where bored and decided to shoot him. Then the factor of getting into a wreck.; in the event of an accident, you are totally exposed to heavy impact. I'll pass and just stick to cars.

5. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I know that a motorbike is much easier to get around with, especially when you have to travel to work in heavy rush hour traffic, I know that motorbikes offer much better fuel economy than cars, as well as costs are much lower to run a bike. But I am too scared to ride one of those machines, especially in high speeds, without the thought of at least there is metal surrounding you, rather than just a layer of clothing.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Each time I see my brother in law and my nephew riding the bike it makes me wonder, that has to be nice, but I am not getting one. If I needed it to escape from traffic, that would be another issue, but as I walk to work I have no such need.

7. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I did considered getting a licence once, but I would not use a motorbike for day to day usage. They are just far too dangerous in my opinion when I have a car. I would like to ride one recreationally though, so maybe one day in the future. It's just too expensive though at this moment in time.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't have the necessity, so I haven't considered it seriously once I walk to work, but after seeing my brother in law using it for the first time being 50 years old it did got me wondering that who knows one day... :) I would be extra careful of course, I know how dangerous it is.

9. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I would ride a motorcycle, not on the roadways, only on a track, and I would only ride it if I have gears. The big advantage of those who rides bikes on the roads is that they spend less on gas than they would with a car, they spend less buying a bike than they would buying a car, and they get to their destination much quicker by bike than they would by car. The downside of having a bike is that the risk of theft is higher than the risk of theft with cars, and any injury sustained in an accident with a bike is elevated.I personally go for safety over anything else.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind riding a bike but the convenience of speed, avoiding traffic, and spending less on gas, is lost on me. I have a lot of stuff which needs to be moved around so much so a pick-up truck for me, is the preferred mode of transportation. Had that not been the case then I'd have got myself a bike a long time ago.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd maybe Ty it out once or twice, but I'm honestly hesitant even riding a regular bike. The problem is that. I get distracted way too easily or my mind drifts off, and I think I'm much more used to dealing with that when driving a car whereas if I'm riding a bike I'd probably more likely get hit by a car. That, or I'd probably lose balance or fall off or maybe even hit a pothole. I guess it would be ya for short distances or if I know there wouldn't be too many obstacles, but it think I'd just rather use a car or a regular bike.

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now Ripley, riding a bike is something awesome and healthy, you should not pass on that just because you get distracted IMO. As for the motorbike I see that as something in another category, instead of healthy I'd say practical, that is why I might consider it in the future.

13. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    There are always risks and dangers involved with every action or inaction one experiences in life, and in order to master your fears, one must face it and take control.

I for one, will learn how to ride a motorbike in the near future, simply because it will help me in life overall, especially when I will be living by myself. Most accidents with motorbike drivers happen due to neglect of him/her not being sure of their abilities, vehicle is not familiar, people pushing their limits, and pure irrational happenings that were inevitable and unexplainable, which is no different than any other form of travel in a vehicle; shit happens. All one can really do, is prepare ahead for such things and happenings, and always keep safety in their mind first and foremost.

Also, there's different types of two-wheeled motorbikes, and other various types that are more stable and more protective; choose your pick carefully to your needs and wants, that's all I can imply.

14. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So true, just this weekend I have a nasty car crash, so we never know what's expecting us, either cases, I know that if I had that crash with a motorbike I would be dead by now, because I would be the one destroyed instead of my car.

15. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I would rude a motorbike especially when I am in a hurry, but I don't think that I will drive it. I cannot even control a bicycle! Lol. Anyway, I understand the appeal of motorbikes.

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Op, you have been watching a lot of Sons of Anarchy right? Lol :p The thought of vehicles in general is not a settling thought to me. I don't like cars - thy make me feel sick. The smell of petrol makes me feel sick, and bikes feel like they are too easy to die on. Like if you get hit, or whatever, it would be all too easy to lose your life or get seriously injured. I suppose that motorbikes and cars have their pros and cons as far as accidents though. I have never ridden on a motorbike before. It seems like it'd be pretty scary. But if I ever got the chance, I probably wouldn't say no to trying it.

17. alfredsettle

alfredsettleBanned

Threads:
    I like so much motorbike other than cars.It saves time when we are trouble in big traffic.So I must choose Motorbike first.

18. zaskolu2014

zaskolu2014New Member

Threads:
    Yes I would, i would love to ride a motocross or supermoto. Those things are cool, and they can go everywhere. Currently I ride downhill ( extreme cycling) and i hope I would one day sit on a motocross. You feels so free on them, in a car i feel like I'm trapped. The Motocross gear and motorbike gear is really cool, the helmets, the body armor, the boots. But watching from a realistic aspect the motorcycles are not for road, they don't quit fit in the whole aspect for daily transport. The motorbikes are really dangerous, and the speed, the noise of the engine , it's really addictive and that is what kills.

19. alfredsettle

alfredsettleBanned

Threads:
    Riding a bike is something awesome.my Friends Circle likewise riding a bike and it makes me feel wonder.we can make an outing at whatever time.

20. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely! My husband has ridden motorbikes since he was a child starting out on mopeds and vespa scooters. He's had a number of bikes through the years. At present, his ride is a Yamaha Virago 1100. I haven't ridden long at all. Only for a few years, now. I quit riding behind my husband after he had a knee replacement. It seemed like it was harder for him to hold us both up when he'd have to stop for traffic lights, etc., and I couldn't help him out because only the tips of my toes would reach the ground. I chose a scooter when I started riding. I have a 250 Honda Reflex, and I love it.