Would You Tell Anyone You Won A Big Sweeps Or The Lottery?

Discussion in Contests & Sweepstakes started by Deeishere • May 20, 2016.

1. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    I was reading an article about the Smith family who won the $429 million Powerball Sweepstakes. They are doing interviews and their story is all over the internet. It's a big chunk of change so everyone is interested. I would be leery to let people know I won. I would fear everyone would bombard me with sad, sorrowful stories on why they need some of the money. Distant relatives, close friends and even co-workers asking for a piece of the pie. So would you let people know of your winnings?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think I'd like it that much as I'm already a fairly private person as it is but if it's necessary, as I would think that these companies would like to get advertisement in return, then I would be okay with playing ball. I'm not too worried about family and friends treating me any differently but I'd be more just worried about the public as I don't want to be that much recognized when I'm out and about just trying to mind my own business, but as I've mentioned , I'd put up with it for that much money.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes when we buy a lotto ticket, my husband and I would dream together. That we would buy a big lot for our garden, that we would have that project, etc. And before redeeming the jackpot, we should have a concrete plan. And the main concern of that plan is how to keep the winnings a secret to the public. Especially if the winnings is so big, revealing it to people may endanger our lives.

There was a case in the adjacent town where a man won the lotto. After redeeming the winnings, the guy was murdered. And police investigation yielded that the wife had caused the murder. Tsk, tsk, such a sad story.

4. Dilof

DilofMember

Threads:
    Telling someone that you ve won the lottery is a pretty sure way of losing a few friends to greed. They ll call you selfish for not given them any money or given them more money than you already have, friends pop out of nowhere and whatnot.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Except for my direct family and the people I trust wholeheartedly, me winning the lottery or sweepstakes is basically no one's business. It's no different from inviting robbers, freeloaders and good-for-nothings to take advantage of you. I'd rather use the large sum I earned through grace for the right reasons and for the right people.

6. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, that's scary. It makes me wonder how was their relationship before the big win. People can be really crazy over money. I use to watch this show that talked about how the rich (who have a lot of money) would be murdered by a family member just to get the inheritance early. What a shame. Money can't buy happiness.

7. CJVee

CJVeeNew Member

Threads:
    No i would spill the beans like that Deeishere! There is a matter of me and mine safety. Wining all that money opens all sorts of doors that can let any and everything at you good and for sure bad!. Only a selected trust few would know that is it.

8. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I talked about what would happen if we won a lot of money. We said that we would open some type of trust to hold the newly acquired funds. So if anyone comes by with their numerous sob/sad stories, we would tell them oh the money is tied up. We both would love to help people but it would be our choice.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think you have a choice in the matter.. you're name will be announced regardless. If that weren't the case though, no, I wouldn't tell anyone and it would be easy, because I wouldn't change a thing about my life. Except maybe buying a small home or piece of land, but that's easy enough to explain away lol.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we lived in the UK, my husband and I always talked about and dreamt about winning the lottery, and we always agreed we wouldn't want the publicity. We were of the same opinion that we'd tell our closest family members, and nobody else. My in-laws agreed and even suggested that if we ever won, we shouldn't ever disclose to anyone, them included, how much we'd come into because then people start 'divying' up the money for you, and naming all sorts of figures that you may not be willing to part with. Money can change people, even if it's not theirs, simply because of that sense of entitlement!

11. ADE07

ADE07New Member

Threads:
    Depends on which lottery you participate in, but many do keep it secret and even offer help on how to deal with the money and such. These people probably wanted to come out themselves. I'm sure they have been bombarded with letters, messages and all the sad stories. You hear it very often. It's also like putting a giant target on your head for robbers, kidnappers and the likes. So no, I would keep it very secret and wouldn't even tell my family. I would share with the people I love but never reveal exactly how much it was.

12. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    Maybe my husband and my kids, but that would be all. Who wants to see long lost relatives coming out if the wood works at you asking for money.

13. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I wouldn't tell anyone, even extended family that I won. Unfortunately, here in Ohio, they publish big winners right on their website and lists that are made available to the public. They do this to "prove" that people actually do win and the lottery isn't a scam. It has been proven that these lists are used by scam artists and people that come out of the woodwork "claiming" to be long-lost family. While you can claim big winnings under the name of a trust that you set up that can carry any name, it is still really not that hard to find out who is behind a trust like this. However, I still wouldn't go around telling anyone anyway. I'm poor and people still try to get every last dollar from me, I can't imagine how it would be if I had any real money to speak of.